The numbers are down from May’s record thirteen covers.
Every month, Marvel offers retailers the chance to commission exclusive covers for certain titles — as long as they order thousands of copies. It’s an effective, if expensive way for both parties to a) get some promotion and create collectibles for the market, and b) up their orders. Begun by Dreamwave back in the day, it was popularised by IDW and now Marvel Comics does it more than anyone else with anywhere between five and 10 titles a month.
The numbers are down from May’s record thirteen covers but they will allowing retailers to commission exclusive covers for the following ten titles.
- Tony Stark: Iron Man #1, (Order By 5/4)
- Ant-Man & The Wasp #1 (Order By 4/27)
- Deadpool #1 (Order By 4/27)
- Doctor Strange #1 (Order By 4/27)
- Immortal Hulk #1 (Order By 4/27)
- Deadpool: Assassin #1 (Order By 5/4)
- Thor #1 (Order By 5/4)
- Amazing Spider-Man #801 (Order By 5/11)
- Multiple Man #1 (Order By 5/18)
- Sentry #1 (Order By 5/18)
Given recent performance of other retailer exclusive covers, Amazing Spider-Man #801 seems like it may be the most attractive. It will also be Dan Slott‘s final issue of his ten year run on the book, so we can probably expect… stuff.
- Separated at Bath: Rob Liefeld and the New Domino Annual - July 22, 2018
- How Many Times Can Marvel Exclusively Give Away the Same Exclusive Variant Cover at San Diego Comic-Con? - July 22, 2018
- Marvel True Believers Panel Previews Squirrel Girl, Marvel Rising, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Domino, Runaways, and Many More - July 22, 2018
- A Look Inside the Increasingly Late Mister Miracle at San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2018
- Swag from the Marvel True Believers Panel at San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2018