Thor: Ragnarok was such a technicolor delight of a Marvel Studios film thanks to director Taika Waititi and his incredible assembled cast and crew. We’d been waiting to get our hands on a copy of the Ultra HD 4k set of the film, and thought we’d share some of the highlights from the bonus features on the Blu-Ray disc.
The bonus featurette documentaries total 34:25, not counting the gag reel, “Team Darryl”, Marvel The First 10 Years and the deleted scenes. We’ll start with the first thing, the featurettes.
- Getting In Touch With Your Inner Thor begins with a super cute shadow puppet reenactment of the scene where Thor exposes Loki posing as Odin.
- Brad Winderbaum Executive producer says the first hero Marvel wanted to bring to the big screen after Iron Man was Thor.
- Kevin Feige says Thor brought a new humor to the series, and wanted Ragnarok to bring him to a new world but still have fun.
- Chris Hemsworth points out he’s been playing thor for 7 years, and that when they did the first film, they didn’t know if they’d get the Avengers film.
- Takia Waititi says they wanted to take it in a new direction, and keep it fun.
- Chris says they made the choice to lighten Thor’s accent, since he’s been on Earth for awhile.
- The Cirta scene was the first they filmed, Chris hanging upside down
- Sir Anthony Hopkins says Chris has a lot of courage, that he hasn’t been affected by his great stardom and fame
- Jeff Goldblum calls Chris cute, “He’s cute, he’s so cute, he’s Christmas.”
- Cate Blanchett says he was amazing to work with, “a lot of us were riding on his shoulders, and what shoulders they were”
- Tom Hiddleston says his relationship with chris is different than any other he’s had with anyone else. “We have a short hand, he makes me laugh.”
- “I’d do many more of them if people wanted to see them,” Chris says.
Unstoppable Women: Hela and Valkyrie
- Taika says it’s not the Thor movie you’re expecting, not the one you want.
- He goes on to say “nowadays we need more female actors, they can hold their own against the guys.”
- Mark calls both Tessa Thompson and Cate strong and amazing
- Kevin Feige calls Hela one of the most iconic characters in the Marvel Universe. “Scary and charming and deadly as any villain we’ve had.”
- Cate was their first choice to play Hela.
- Tessa says the introduction of the character is amazing
- Tom says he understands the challenges with playing a villain, and that her presence is incredible
- “Some of my happiest times were beating people up,” Cate said
- “Having Valkyrie be in this film, introducing her, she’ll help lead the charge for the next chapter of the MCU.”
- Tessa rocked her fighting training
- “We wanted to find a new way to show women fighting in film in general. I’d say she fights like a boy, but that diminishes the fact that she fights like a really strong woman,” Tessa said
- Cate says that Tessa was compelling, and mysterious
- Winderbaum calls Taika a dream director
- Chris “the most wakey and physical director I’ve ever worked with”
- Cate: the minute you meet him, you think ‘i’ll do anything for you’
- “There’s no continuity when you’re living in the moment,” Taika on set
- Hopkins says Taika is in command, and open for suggestions. “I did things that were outlandish.”
- Taika shaved Karl Urban‘s hair for playing Skurge
- 5,000 extras in some scenes- Taika tried on and wore some costumes on set
- Seeing Taika doing his mocap for Korg is the best thing
- “Pretty hard to be taken seriously when you’re in that stuff.”
- “What the world needs right now is Korg, the Rock Man.”
Sakaar: On The Edge of the Known and Unknown:
- A look into the planet of Jack Kirby’s vision
- “It’s a physics phenominon,” says Mark Ruffalo
- Sakaar is the toilet of the universe
- Kevin Feige says it’s the most audacious set they’ve ever built for the most audacious film
- “The Grand Master is the photo negative of Odin”, Tom Hiddleston
- “It was a good a time as I’ve ever had. It was fun and exciting, and I liked what we were doing”, Jeff says
- The Hulk vs Thor scene in Thor: Ragnarok is totally based on Contest of Champions comic.
- Taika says he was really excited for the film to do the Thor Hulk stuff.
- Mark reinvented Banner, reinvented the Hulk, Hiddleston says.
- Tom loves the moment when Thor gets smashed by Hulk
Journey Into Mystery
- The events of Ragnarok happen during the same time as Civil War
- Early Stan Lee and Jack Kirby ‘journey into mystery’, and Walt Simonson ( his years on Thor 1983-1987)
- Turns out Walt was totally an extra! He’s seen wearing Asgardian clothes in the featurette
- Taika really wanted to make this movie a tribute to Jack Kirby
- Kevin says “it’s almost like we’ve finally stepped into a Kirby drawing.”
- “Everybody wants Planet Hulk,” Ruffalo says
- “The fans are always who we think of. Not just the now fans, but the older comic fans too.”
- Gag reel with freaking Tom and Jeff skating is like the best thing
- Cate kept making noises when she shoots weapons
Also, Team Darryl is fabulous:
The Marvel First 10 Years featurette takes a look at the assembled universe, starting with Iron Man, continuing with Thor.
- There are snippets of footage from the first films, and some onscene BTS moments.
- Captain America is always the moral backbone of the team.
- Fans of the MCU will no doubt really dig this addition.
- The Russo Brothers say that Civil War will have major implications for the next phase.
- “Every single marvel film will have culmination in the next two Avengers films.”
There are also a collection of 8-bit scenes created as the captions say “to help filmmakers plan out the scenes”.
Thor: Ragnarok is definitely an important addition to any MCU collection. Check back for our upcoming 4K review (including the Director’s Commentary, because omg we need it).
- Avengers: Infinity War is Coming - Here's What'll Be on the 4k/Blu-Ray
- Taika Waititi Shares First Look at 'Wellington Paranormal' TV Series
- Tessa Thompson Wants to Get Her "Tatiana Maslany On" in Westworld Season 3
- Taika Waititi Shares Image from Set of Jojo Rabbit, Calls it "Finite War"
- Taika Waititi Tells MTV Awards Nominating Him Was a "Big Mistake"
- Tom Hiddleston's Favorite MCU Moment, Also He Does a Brilliant Korg Impression
- Kevin Feige Says Marvel Makes Movies "We Believe In", Russo Brothers Call It "Grand Narrative Experiment"
- Let's Talk About Tom Hiddleston's Wigs as Loki in the MCU- Good, Bad, Worse
- The Miracle Season Review: Teetering Into Melodrama but Saved with Heart
- New Era and Lids Announce 59FIFTY Blackout Collection
- Black Panther Gets a New Statue from Kotobukiya
- Avengers: Infinity War Gets an IMAX Poster, Still No Hawkeye
- 'Thor: Ragnarok' Blu-ray Release Special Features, Hella Hela, and More
- From Iron Man to Black Panther: Marvel Studios' True Superhero, Casting
- The Christopher Nolan 4K Box Set Is Unreal, In The Best Ways
- Things We Learned From The Christopher Nolan 4K Box Set Special Features- "Inception"
- Blade Runner 2049 On 4K- The Ultimate Visual And Aural Home Experience
- Things We Learned From The 'Blade Runner: 2049' Special Features
- The Best Viewing Order of the MCU Ahead of Avengers: Infinity War
- SYFY Releases Official Trailer for ‘Nightflyers’ Series - July 19, 2018
- Doctor Who’s Jodie Whittaker Really is THAT Incandescent in Person - July 19, 2018
- Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns Bringing Stargirl to DC Universe Streaming Service - July 19, 2018
- SDCC Bash ‘Ready Party One’ Was Everything This Side of the OASIS - July 19, 2018
- Henry Cavill Wanted to Fight [SPOILER] in Man of Steel 2 - July 18, 2018