All hail a new(ish) age. After Wonder Woman shatter box office records and went on to be a critical and commercial success people were wondering what kind of lesson Hollywood would learn from that. It wouldn’t be the first time that Hollywood saw something that worked and then took the wrong thing from that success. In this case it sounds like Hollywood only got about half of the equation right here. According to Deadline Ashley Edward Miller has been hired to write a Red Sonja movie with Millennium financing the project. It will be produced by Millennium along with Mark Canton and Courtney Solomon of Cinelou, Christa Campbell & Lati Grobman and Red Sonja rights holder Luke Lieberman.
Red Sonja, which Dynamite Entertainment continues to publish in comic book form today, was put into fast-track development by Avi Lerner after the success of Warner Bros.’ female empowerment film Wonder Woman, which captured a new generation at the box office with a big $821.8M worldwide. Red Sonja, who wields swords and sorcery, is known as the she-devil with a sword.
So they learned that female lead heroes can sell but thus far they are missing the second part of what made Wonder Woman work and that was director Patty Jenkins. It was the fresh perspective for Wonder Woman and the lack of male gaze that made the movie unique. Miller has said that this is an “exciting opportunity”.
“It’s an exciting opportunity to faithfully adapt the amazing Hyborean world Robert E. Howard created, and inject it with Sonja’s intelligence, ferocity, and fearless humanity,” he said. “I want people to love Sonja the way I love her, and walk out of the theater understanding why she’s so popular and enduring. Sonja is an icon.”
This is just the writer so perhaps they will hire a female director and maybe they will capture the magic of Wonder Woman with this project. This is half of a good decision so let’s see if they follow through with the other half.
- New Era and Lids Announce 59FIFTY Blackout Collection
- Black Panther Gets a New Statue from Kotobukiya
- MLB Games That You Should Watch on Thursday, April 5
- CinemaCon Sony Presentation Live Blog - April 23, 2018
- Joe Russo Gave Tom Holland a Fake Avengers: Infinity War Script - April 19, 2018
- Colin Trevorrow Says Jurassic World 3 Will Be a “Science Thriller” like Jurassic Park - April 18, 2018
- Brad Bird Explains Why There Is No Time Jump in Incredibles 2 - April 18, 2018
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – The New Direction While Remaining True to the Universe - April 18, 2018