Fans of Supernatural are rejoicing with the news yesterday that the series would be back for an unprecedented 14th season, making it not only the longest-running series on the CW, but the longest-running science fiction/fantasy series in North America. A big part of the success of the series relies on the interaction between Jared Padalecki, who plays Sam Winchester, and Jensen Ackles, who plays older brother Dean Winchester. They were both on The Talk yesterday shortly after the renewal news broke.
They got asked how they first met, and it’s a pretty interesting story. In the video below they talk about the network audition process where you go in and wait with a bunch of people reading for the same part. But this case was very different in that Jensen and Jared were the only two actors in the waiting room. And when they started talking, they found they weren’t reading for the same part at all. They also discovered that they had a lot in common… both from Texas, were Cowboys fans, have an older brother and a younger sister, and their parents are both still together and living in Texas. That’s a lot to have in common with a stranger. They went in and read together, then went out while the executives talked. Then they were brought back in and immediately told they had the parts — which isn’t how that usually works.
Somebody saw how good these two could be together right away and made the call.
Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET on the CW.
- Black Lightning Season 1: Jefferson Pierce, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Brainiac 5, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: Beebo, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- Arrow Season 6: Cayden James, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: Ralph Dibny, the Best New Character of the Season - May 26, 2018