We don’t know that much about what Rian Johnson has planned for his new series of Star Wars movies. We do know that it isn’t going to have anything to do with what the current set of films, which is interesting. Johnson recently spoke to Digital Spy about his approach to these new movies and how he wants to capture the spirit of Star Wars.
“I’m looking at everything right now,” he said when we asked what parts of Star Wars lore he might be drawing from. “I’m honestly just in this very nice ‘OK, what is this thing going to be?’ phase. Really, the only goal I have is to think about how Star Wars made me feel as a kid. And that’s it. I’m trying to capture: what is that, if it’s not iconography that we recognise, necessarily, from the original trilogy? What captures that spirit? What can be that for a kid who’s never heard of Star Wars? It’s getting back to the very fundamental questions of what makes this what it is.”
As for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Johnson talked about being on social media and being able to see the opinion unfold in front of him. He also acknowledges that strong opinions, one way or another, are a good thing.
“Being out there on social media myself, I’m getting the proper perspective of, you know, there’s this much of it, and 90% of what I’ve been getting has been so lovely and wonderful,” Johnson continued. “And then also just knowing that that’s just the flip side of the coin. You can’t take the good stuff without realising that with that same passion, you’re going to have people that are upset about stuff, but that’s not necessarily bad; it’s just both sides of the same coin of people really caring about this. You can’t take the good without the bad. When you make a movie, you only pray to God that you get this kind of passionate reaction to it. It’s been really cool.”
A movie is supposed to create some sort of reaction, whether it be positive or negative. The death threats are still way too much, though — so knock that off, people. No death threats, to anyone, for any reason.
- Pat Neshek Makes Collectors Jealous, Pulls Shohei Ohtani Auto from Topps Heritage
- MLB Games That You Should Watch on Wednesday, April 4
- Disney Fires Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn Over Old Offensive Tweets - July 20, 2018
- 20th Century Fox Brings the Fun to Their Panel for The Predator - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Comic-Con Iron Fist Season 2 Panel Live-Blog - July 19, 2018
- First Teaser Trailer for Series 11 of Doctor Who Debuts at SDCC [VIDEO] - July 19, 2018
- At SDCC, Working Geek Moms Still Gotta Bring Home a Gift - July 19, 2018