Murder on the Orient Express‘s Kenneth Branagh appears to be going the “stay-cation” route with his newest project, re-teaming with Mark Gordon to star/produce Entertainment One’s television adaptation of Amor Towles’s novel A Gentleman in Moscow. Entertainment One optioned the book’s series rights in 2017 from publisher Viking, a division of Penguin Random House in North America, with Tom Harper (The Aeronauts) also spearheading the project.
“Ken is a world class talent celebrated for portraying captivating and layered characters, and Tom is a master at crafting gripping and thought-provoking television. We are delighted to collaborate with them on A Gentleman in Moscow, which exemplifies the kind of premium content led by acclaimed talent that we are dedicated to creating at eOne.” – Mark Gordon
Branagh will play protagonist Count Alexander Rostov in the series adaptation of the 2016 novel:
When, in 1922, he is deemed an unrepentant aristocrat by a Bolshevik tribunal, the count is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin. Rostov, an indomitable man of erudition and wit, has never worked a day in his life, and must now live in an attic room while some of the most tumultuous decades in Russian history are unfolding outside the hotel’s doors. Unexpectedly, his reduced circumstances provide him a doorway into a much larger world of emotional discovery.
Along with Murder on the Orient Express, Branagh recently concluded his run on BBC drama Wallander; and directed Thor for Marvel and Cinderella for Disney. Branagh and Harper are set to produce alongside Moonriver Content’s Xavier Marchand; with Carolyn Newman, Polly Williams and Pancho Mansfield spearheading the project on behalf of Entertainment One.
“A Gentleman in Moscow is a life-affirming book full of humour and charm that brings together the profound, the political and the personal. I am thrilled to be working with Ken, whose masterful talent will allow us to bring this extraordinary story to life.”
– Tom Harper
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on “Sexier” Season 2, Salem’s Voice, and More! - December 11, 2018
- Crisis Management: Arrow ‘Elseworlds, Part 2’ (Bleeding Cool’s Arrowverse Live-Blog!) - December 10, 2018
- Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon’s Cord and Tish Return as 2019 Rose Parade Hosts - December 10, 2018
- Ratched: Ryan Murphy Calls ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ Prequel Series “A Feminist Horror Story” - December 10, 2018
- Cobra Kai Season 2: Ralph Macchio Confirms Production Wrap, Praises Show Honor - December 10, 2018