New York comic book store Modern Myths posted the following message to customers on their Facebook page this week. They will be closing both their stores later this year — Northampton at the end of May, and Mamaroneck at the end of June.
After more than fifteen years of serving readers and gamers in two locations and at conventions around the Northeast, we’ve made the difficult but ultimately necessary decision to retire. We will be closing both of our physical locations and attending our last conventions over the course of the next several months.
Our plan right now is to close our Northampton location at the end of May, and our Mamaroneck location at the end of June. We’re hoping you’ll join us in both locations on Free Comic Book Day (May 5) for an informal all-day retirement party and the usual piles of free comics.
We’ll have details for how we’re handling orders and liquidation sales in our next update. We know this announcement will come as a surprise for a lot of you. It’s important that you know we’re ok, and we’re doing this because we want to bow out while we’re still happy and healthy enough to do it gracefully. There’s some proprietary numbers we obviously can’t share, but I’m looking forward to chatting with as many of you as I can in the coming weeks, in part to say good-bye, but mostly just to say thank you.
There have been over a dozen comic book stores that Bleeding Cool have noted closing this year, but there may well be others too. Opening stores have been rarer.
Bleeding Cool covers the closing – and opening – of comic book stores. We’re more likely to discover the former rather than the latter as the result of an active fanbase, so please let us know when a new store in your neighbourhood is opening: email@example.com
- Frank Miller is Coming to MCM London Comic Con – but You’ll Pay $150 to See Him - July 20, 2018
- New Doctor Who Jodie Whittaker Surprises ‘Her Universe’ Fashion Show at SDCC - July 19, 2018
- Amazing Spider-Man #1, Tony Stark: Iron Man #2, and Immortal Hulk #3 Sell Out, Go to Second Printing - July 19, 2018
- Jodie Whittaker’s New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed at San Diego Comic-Con – and Where You Can Buy It - July 19, 2018
- Titans TV Series for DC Universe Will Drop 10 Episodes at Once Like Netflix - July 19, 2018