Nintendo just released a brand new update to Super Mario Odyssey this week, in which you can now buy two specific outfits in the game’s shop that will let you dress Mario up like a baseball player or an astronaut. The news came down on Nintendo’s official Twitter channel earlier today.
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) March 29, 2018
While the baseball outfit is new, a lot of old-school gamers were quick to pick up on the fact that the astronaut suit is actually a throwback. Below is an old Nintendo commercial from Japan back in the ’90s, featuring Mario in the exact same setup. In case you don’t speak Japanese or recognize the gear, he’s trying to sell you on the Super Famicom Satellaview, which was actually a cool system in Japan at the time and really ahead of its time when it comes to internet connections. Players could receive downloadable broadcasts from special satellites as well as get exclusive downloadable games, like BS Zelda no Densetsu. But that’s a story for another day. For now, it’s cool to see the company do a callback from over 25 years ago.
- Nintendo Adds Two New Outfits to Super Mario Odyssey Today
- Nintendo Celebrates One-Year Anniversary for Super Mario Odyssey
- Super Mario Odyssey is Getting a Zombie Mario Costume
- Super Mario Odyssey Has 5 Unreleased Costumes
- Decorating my Nintendo Switch: We Review PDP's Light Up Dock Shield
- This Year's GDC Awards Were Pointless Because of Breath of the Wild
- SXSW Reveals the 2018 Gaming Awards Winners
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Leads BAFTA Game's Nominations
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Jumps Over to the Nintendo Switch