I’m very lucky to live (and work) in San Francisco, CA. The city, with more in common with Ancient Rome than perhaps most modern cities (built on seven hills, cultural and political hotbed, bathhouses, etc.), knows how to deliver a film festival.
2018’s San Francisco International Film Festival theme just happens to be diversity and inclusion this year, and the April 4th-17th events aim to reflect that. You can see for yourself in a simple browse through of the films, talks, and various offerings here, broken up by interest, section, and country of origin.
Some of the highlight events that I’m going to do my damndest to make it to:
The Children Act, starring Emma Thompson, Thursday April 12th 6:30 p.m. at the Victoria Theater.
Bad Reputation, Joan Jett documentary Saturday April 14th 8:00 p.m. at the Castro Theater.
Creativity Summit with filmmaker Alex Garland, Saturday April 7th 2:00 p.m. at the Creativity Theater.
Damsel, starring Robert Pattinson, directed by David Zellner and Nathan Zellner, Saturday April 14th 8:00 p.m. at the Victoria Theater.
(The big one for me personally) How to Talk to Girls at Parties, directed by John Cameron Mitchell based on the short story by Neil Gaiman, Friday April 6th 9:00 p.m. at the Castro Theater.
Half the Picture, featuring documentary interviews with Miranda July, Ava DuVernay, and Penelope Spheeris directed by Amy Adrion, Monday April 16th 1:30 p.m. at the Victoria Theater.
RBG, a documentary about the NOTORIOUS RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsburg) Supreme Court Justice badass, Saturday April 14th 1 p.m. at the Castro Theater.
Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind, documentary look at the dearly missed comedian directed by Marina Zenovich. Saturday April 7th 2:00 p.m. at the Castro Theater.
Trying On The Crown: Master Class with David Thomson, talking about Netflix’s series and the impact of longform tv on viewers. Sunday April 15th, 4 p.m. at the SFMOMA.
I mean, this is just a first pass of the things that jump out at me right away — that’s not even looking at the foreign films (Russia’s Salyut-7 specifically), but you can see some of the overlaps.
- We Learn 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties' with Neil Gaiman and John Cameron Mitchell
- Watch: New 'How To Talk To Girls At Parties' Trailer from A24
- The SNL Stefon Funko Pop Is a Must-Add to Your Collection
- [#Tribeca2018] Bleeding Cool's Tribeca Film Festival Guide to All 96 Feature Films
- Tonya Harding Says 99% of 'I, Tonya' is the Truth
- Let's Talk About Mozart In The Jungle Season 4 Episode 10
- Let's Talk About Mozart in the Jungle Season 4, Episode 1
- Watch: Golden Globe Winner Gary Oldman in 'Darkest Hour' Behind the Scenes
- 'Darkest Hour' Director And Stars Receive SF Honors Award In San Francisco
- First Trailer For "How To Talk To Girls At Parties" Hits
- John Cameron Mitchell Joins Mozart In The Jungle
- Magic Wheelchair and Adam Savage Need Your Kickstarter Help - June 24, 2018
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Roars with $711.5 Million World Wide - June 24, 2018
- Target, Best Buy Have ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ DVD, Blu-ray Pre Orders Available - June 24, 2018
- ‘Twilight Zone: The Movie’ Turns 35 Years Old Today - June 24, 2018
- Check Out BossLogic’s ‘Spider-Man: Homies’ Poster - June 24, 2018