When it was announced that Sir Ridley Scott was making The Terror series for AMC, I was definitely intrigued. Sure, he’s had some missteps in recent years (Exodus, anyone?), but the 80-years-young director continues to keep a breakneck pace of projects with a pretty good semblance of why Ridley remains an iconic filmmaker.
The Terror show is based on the 2007 novel by Dan Simmons. The basis is a fictionalized account of the 1845–1848 lost expedition to locate the Northwest Passage via the Arctic of Captain Sir John Franklin of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. The majority of the characters in the source are based on real-life members of Franklin’s crew; their unexplained disappearance still causing speculation today.
Anytime Scott gets to play with fear and the unknown, you know you’re in for a pretty good result. Set in the tundra and ice with possible supernatural ‘terror’ elements puts viewers right back into one of the touchstones of Ridley’s filmography, Alien.
My Rome reasoning is because series stars Ciarán Hinds and Tobias Menzies are together again on this ill-fated journey, the pair having played Julius Caesar and Brutus in the HBO series about the Empire. The first dinner scene in The Terror has Menzies talking about Caesar crossing the Rubicon, and I guffawed loudly (and not just at Tobias’s terrible wig).
Production value is high, even though again we’re getting ship’s cabins with remarkably tall ceilings (*cough* Black Sails *cough*). You FEEL the cold seeping out of your screen, not just via the condensation breath of each sailor, but the general texture and saturation of every scene. It’s a little The Thing, it’s a little space exploration-y, it’s a lot of quiet drama.
I made a joke that I was expecting to see Adam (Frankenstein’s monster) walking up to the ships across the ice.
The play of Inuit superstitions and Jared Harris‘s understanding of parts of their culture make for some fascinating intrigue, and I can’t wait to see what happens with the rest of the season.
- AMC Scares up a Season 2 for Sir Ridley Scott's 'The Terror'
- Sir Ridley Scott Waxes Poetic About H.R. Giger, AMC's The Terror, and Thelma & Louise
- The SNL Stefon Funko Pop Is a Must-Add to Your Collection
- Tobias Menzies Takes Over Prince Philip From Matt Smith for 'The Crown' S3
- Here Are the 44th Annual Saturn Awards Nominations
- Mackenzie Davis in Talks to Star in Terminator Reboot
- But Really, What Did Rutger Hauer Think of Blade Runner 2049?
- Blade Runner 2049 On 4K- The Ultimate Visual And Aural Home Experience
- Ridley Scott Says There Is Another 'Blade Runner' Story To Be Told
- The Terror: AMC Releases Teaser, New Images for Ridley Scott Series
- Follow Along Live from the ‘Supernatural’ Hall H Panel At SDCC - July 22, 2018
- First Teaser for Season 3 of Amazon Studios’ ‘The Man In The High Castle’ - July 21, 2018
- First Look at Cosmos Season 2 Debuted During SDCC Panel - July 21, 2018
- 28 Photos from the Vikings San Diego Comic-Con Panel - July 20, 2018
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Getting Reboot, Joss Whedon Attached - July 20, 2018