When it comes to characters having the Force sensitivity, we really haven’t really explored the idea that a lot of people are at least a little Force sensitive. The new direction Star Wars seems to be moving in is less of a “only the Jedi can use the Force” and more that certain people can harness it in different ways. One of those characters is apparently Admiral Holdo in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Laura Dern spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the history of her character and revealed that Holdo had a connection to the Force.
“In their minds, and in their understanding of the origin story, we know that she was a true rebel in the Resistance, and in our culture we might have called her a hippie,” Dern says. “But she was longing for peace, and a revolutionary in that way, and wanted to be trained by and led by Leia, who taught her everything she knew. She wanted to come up in the ranks to support Leia’s mission, but also had this otherworldly side that does involve the Force.”
This is a woman who trained under Leia, and if there was anyone who could teach Holdo the Force as a tool for change it would be Leia.
“There’s something about her that longs to protect it, and holds that with great care,” Dern says. “There’s a sort of a light on and a wisdom that she speaks about in the film, and speaks to Oscar Isaac’s character briefly about it.”
The Last Jedi was about people needing to stand up, make sacrifices for the greater good, and help inspire the galaxy to fight back. They needed to restore hope, and Holdo did that in her own way through her sacrifice. She didn’t hesitate to give up her life for the cause, and Dern believes that is because she knew this wasn’t the end.
“Yeah, her primary goal was to protect the light, to protect the Force, and to keep the revolutionaries alive,” Dern says. “And I think the film speaks so beautifully to that with this last image of the next generation of the Resistance, you know?”
“No one ever really gone,” is what Luke says in the film, and Holdo’s sacrifice to take down the First Order and save the Resistance means that she has become even more powerful in death.
Summary: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, and Adam Driver. It’s out on home release now.
- Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia WILL Return in 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy Book by Amy Ratcliffe Coming This Fall
- The SNL Stefon Funko Pop Is a Must-Add to Your Collection
- Mortal Engines Review: A Generic Story With a Fantastic New Coat of Paint - December 13, 2018
- Once Upon a Deadpool Review: Proof That a PG-13 Deadpool Doesn’t Work - December 13, 2018
- Mary Poppins Returns: Featurette Teases Topsy and a New Clip Shows off a New Song - December 12, 2018
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse – Multiple Stan Lee Cameos and Different Peter Parker’s - December 12, 2018
- The Punisher Season 2: Jon Bernthal Shares a LQ First Image - December 12, 2018