We get a taste of actress Hannah John-Kamen as a villain this weekend in Steven Spielberg‘s Ready Player One, but that isn’t the only time this year we’re going to see John-Kamen on screen as a bad guy. In July she’ll be taking on the character of Ghost in Ant-Man and the Wasp as the most noticeable incidence of gender-flipping in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. [Note: At least in the movies, not TV, with the possible except of Nova Prime if you want to get really pedantic about it — so don’t @ me.] John-Kamen was on the red carpet for Ready Player One and spoke to Entertainment Tonight about adapting the character from the comics and making it her own.
“I always say a character from a comic book is a character from a comic book, and as an actor, you’re lifting it off the page. You’re the one who’s creating and giving it life,” John-Kamen said. “Badass, kickass women, let’s keep seeing some more.”
Gender flipping/swapping, or changing the appearance of any character, whether it by sex, race, etc., tends not to go over well. So you can’t really blame Entertainment Weekly for asking what kind of reaction she’s had since the announcement. Much to our surprise, it has been positive so far.
“The reaction has been excitement and anticipation and that’s exactly how I feel,” John-Kamen said. “I’m like, ‘Right, let’s see this, let’s do this.'”
Good job, nerds! Now let’s see if that small faction of us can refrain from freaking out the next time a person of color is cast in a white character’s role.
Summary: As Scott Lang balances being both a Super Hero and a father, Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym present an urgent new mission that finds the Ant-Man fighting alongside The Wasp to uncover secrets from their past.
Ant-Man and the Wasp, directed by Peyton Reed, stars Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Hannah John-Kamen, Michael Douglas, and Michael Peña. It will be released on July 6th.
- New Trailer Hits for the 20th MCU Film, Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Keanu Reeves Says He Doesn’t Know If Bill & Ted 3 Will Become a Reality - July 15, 2018
- New Poster and Trailer for A Simple Favor - July 15, 2018
- Character Posters for Christopher Robin Give Us a Close Up Look at the Animals - July 15, 2018
- Dwayne Johnson Says There is “No Need” To Talk to Tyrese About the Fast and Furious Feud - July 15, 2018
- Laurence Fishburne Isn’t Sure He’ll Return to the DCEU - July 14, 2018