It seems like you can’t swing a genre review without hitting at least four different new media (read digital) journalism outlets in recent years. This isn’t really a negative, with so many prolific writers popping up in places like io9, Bleeding Cool, and The Nerdist, there’s plenty of room in the waters of the internet for everyone with a column.
One of the annual panels at both WonderCon and SDCC focuses on this very subject, Everyone’s A Critic: Being a Journalist in the Online Age.
Moderated by Bleeding Cool’s own Bill Watters, the panel also featured Dana Han-Klein (formerly of Google, currently of The DHK and Bleeding Cool), Alexandra August (CBR, Geek Exchange), Bill Hunt (The Digital Bits), Thomas Parnham (APU), and myself (Bleeding Cool and Editor-in-Chief of Aggressive Comix) talking about the challenges and motivations that pepper our daily lives.
The talk was well attended for a Saturday at 11 am session, especially since we were up against Chase Masterson‘s Anti-Bullying panel (which is super important, and I’m glad they had a full house for theirs). Also, it was my birthday, so please excuse the birthday song.
We ended up with several well-worded questions towards the end of our time, which I wasn’t expecting, because normally we get the “how do you get famous writing” ones that are impossible to answer.
This particular audience listened to what we were discussing and brought up some good points, such as how to deal with vehement opposing views on critiques of film and TV, and how the experiences of the three women on the panel differed from the men’s.
You can listen to the panel here:
- Super Troopers 2 Definitely Embraces Their 420 Release Date
- The Kickass Women of Silicon Valley Comic Con 2018
- Oh, Hai Greg: An Evening With Greg Sestero and 'Best F(r)iends' Review
- MLB Opening Day Means #CapsOn! Here are 10 Favorites to Support Your Team
- Opening Day is Here! Here Are Our MLB 2018 Predictions!
- Baby Groot Life-Size Figure Dances his Way to Collections From Hot Toys
- Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi Gets a Hot Toys Release
- [#WonderCon] Gather 'Round the Campfire: Tellin' Tales with Patrick Rothfuss, R.A. Salvatore, Tina LeCount Myers, and Jenna Rhodes
- Brie Larson is "Absolutely Perfect" as Captain Marvel, Says Ben Mendelsohn
- [#WonderCon] What We Learned About 'Into the Badlands' Season 3
- [#WonderCon] Inside the Writers' Room: Shows That Inspire
- [#WonderCon] That Time George Lucas Visited the Ready Player One Set
- The Cosplay Masquerade of WonderCon 2018 (PHOTOS)
- [#WonderCon] All of the Details from the Krypton Panel
- Mad Magazine's New Look Revealed at #WonderCon 2018
- Box Office: ‘Ralph’ Still on Top, ‘Aquaman’ Rules China - December 9, 2018
- ‘Doctor Who’ New Year’s Day Title Revealed: “Resolution” - December 8, 2018
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Sets 24 Hour Trailer Record with 289 Million Views - December 8, 2018
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Disneyland- The Falcon is Done! - December 8, 2018
- Marvel Studios Release ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Poster - December 7, 2018