Music business manager Scooter Braun and entertainment executive David Maisel have teamed up to form Mythos Studios, with hopes of creating the next Marvel Cinematic Universe using the works of the late Michael Turner. The plans were featured in an article in the New York Times today.
Braun is a manager and record label owner behind such acts as Justin Beiber and Ariana Grande. Maisel was the Chairman of Marvel Studios who pitched the idea of getting Marvel into the movie business to Ike Perlmutter. Together, they represent a powerful executive team with a track record of success. Now, they’re teaming up to take a crack at creating a movie studio to rival Maisel’s previous creation, Marvel Studios. To do that, they’re using the comic book properties created by the legendary artist Michael Turner. Mythos Studios, the new company formed by Bruan and Maisel, owns a 50% stake in Aspen Comics, the maker of comics created by Turner such as Fathom and Soulfire.
“Are they as popular as Superman or Batman? No,” Braun said in an interview with the Times. “But why do people know the name Forrest Gump? If you tell a great story, people will care.”
In addition to Aspen’s intellectual properties, Braun and Maisel will also pursue new and public domain properties, and Braun hasn’t ruled out using his music business connections to bring star power to the projects. Of course, when Maisel pitched Marvel Studios back in 2003, it was a revolutionary idea unlike anything seen in the movie business before. Now, every movie studio and comic book company is doing their best to build a shared cinematic universe.
Can Maisel and Braun make any headway in such a crowded environment? That will remain to be seen, but if this is what it takes to finally get that Fathom movie off the ground, who are we to complain?
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018