WonderCon in Anaheim has steadily increased its major studio presence over the past few years, and in 2018 that meant Warner Bros. Specifically, at least from looking at how packed the area was during the presentation, Ready Player One.
The film screened back at South by Southwest (SXSW) and was pretty much the main movie discussed over the weekend by fans, critics, and professionals in the industry alike across the three days. The RP1 panel was a packed house on Saturday, and it’s not surprising.
Source material author Ernie Cline was on hand, as was screenwriter Zak Penn, along with the cast including Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Lena Waithe, Phillip Zhou, Win Morisaki, and Ben Mendelsohn. Moderated by Access Hollywood’s Scott Mantz (who did NOT bring up La La Land once, surprisingly), some new stories about the production emerged, including a pal of Steven Spielberg showing up on set.
Apparently George Lucas visited, and he wouldn’t stop giving Steven a bad time about shooting digital. “You always said you never would,” Penn said of the visit, “look at that camera there, that’s digital, and so’s that one.”
Tom Cruise showed up at set too, apparently, and poor Olivia was super embarrassed. “We were shooting in our MoCap suits, and I blacked out kind of, and I know I bowed to him like a servant.”
The panel also took questions from the audience, one of which tackled the question of revealing Waithe’s casting (which is a big reveal in the book, and in the film too).
Zak and Ernie both responded to this one, saying they tried to keep secrets about the casting, but “didn’t know Lena was going to have her year (she won an Emmy for her written episode of Master of None), so thanks, Lena.”
Lena: It’s still [a surprise] when we pop up in the movie, I promise. I’m in my own little oasis, it’s phenomenal it’s such a highlight to be in a movie like this, to be in the Spielberg library, is a huge honor.
Ernie: Also, I just have to say it’s disconcerting when you realize one of the actors in your film is a better writer than you.
Lena: But your book inspired me to be a better writer.
There was also an important question: everyone’s favorite video games. Unsurprising if you are at all familiar with his work, Ernie said Atari 2600 Adventure, Zak said Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Tye said FIFA (apparently he’s pretty good at it, playing on set often), Olivia Sims (and also coyly asked if a Tamagotchi counts), Lena’s pick was Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog, Ben said Defender, Philip went with NBA 2K18, and Win chose Infinite Flight (a flight simulator).
Ready Player One opens in theaters on March 29th.
- Watch: 3 Minutes of Ready Player One Copper Key Race [Video]
- Zak Penn on THAT Scene in 'Ready Player One' and Still Not Rebooting 'The Matrix'
- Ernie Cline's 'Armada' Gets First Draft Script by Dan Mazeau
- Did 'Ready Player One' Hype Translate to Box Office Success?
- [SPOILERS] Let's Talk About Ready Player One: Spielberg Goes Guns-to-Radios Again
- Ready Player One Review: It's Fun, but not Great, and that Breaks my Heart
- [#WonderCon] Everyone's a Critic: Journalism in the Online Age
- Brie Larson is "Absolutely Perfect" as Captain Marvel, Says Ben Mendelsohn
- MLB 2018: The Nationals Should Handle the NL East - Is it Finally Their Year?
- MLB 2018: Nobody Can Hang With Houston – Who Will Finish Second in the AL West?
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Let's Take a Look at the Han Solo LEGO Brickheadz Figure
- Steven Spielberg Talks Keeping References from His Own Movies out of Ready Player One
- Listen to 'The OASIS' by Alan Silvestri from Ready Player One Soundtrack
- Watch: Steven Spielberg Introduces Ready Player One to London IMAX Audience
- Book Review: Ready Player One is a Love Letter to the '80s
- Here's The Thing About 'Ready Player One' Haters- They're Wrong
- 'Ready Player One' Releases 'Dreamer' Trailer, Yes There's Some New Footage
- Watch: 'Ready Player One' Author Ernie Cline Thanks Fans in New Video
- Ready Player One LIVE at #SXSW Powered by Twitch And IMDB
- These 'Ready Player One' Reimagined Classic Movie Posters Are AMAZING
- The New Trailer For Ready Player One Has A Hidden QR Code
- New ‘DOOM’ Movie Coming From Universal Pictures - April 20, 2018
- Han Solo Didn’t Do the Kessel Run, Lando Calrissian Did - April 20, 2018
- ‘God of War’ Launch Day Event is About to go Live, Here’s How To Watch - April 19, 2018
- Nee Brothers May Be Directors for Masters of the Universe Film - April 19, 2018
- Netflix Almost Bought Landmark Theaters, Report Says - April 19, 2018