We interrupt your regular weekly Dieselfunk Dispatch with three reports from the floor of Wondercon in Anaheim. Read previous issues of the Dieselfunk Dispatch here.
Tim Fielder writes for Bleeding Cool from Wondercon:
Greetings Dieselfunkateers! Look, over there! Why it’s The MOON MINIS. Next up we continued our Wondercon INDIE Quest and saw a great many offerings ran that ranged from comics to children’s pictures books. As you walk the floor you are almost bombarded by the deluge of official and unofficial Marvel and DC content. Our reoccurring theme with the Dispatch is to hunt down ORIGINAL IPs. To that end, it immediately ran up on the Very visible, VERY PINK, and hard to miss booth of Mr. Niall Westerfield, creator and owner of ‘The Moon Minis.’
Westerfield, a toy maker by day, is able to produce his content in different mediums. Those mediums range from books, to really amazing toys. But I must add that I’m always appreciative of the indie spirit in BRANDING. The signage, design, and booth display was completely on point. The books were colorful, fun, and directly attractive to the kids that the product are designed for.
Westerfield was also interesting because he had the ability to not only generate an original IP, but also to manufacture the toys of that IP completely FROM SCRATCH. This guy is like McGuyver or something! I wonder what the upside options are for not only the survival of indie IPs but also for the majors that invest into custom startups like The Moon Minis? Niall is essentially generating original Transmedia content out of pocket. Perhaps we will cover this in future articles? Of course we will!:-)
I asked Niall to give a little background on the Moon Minis concept. In fact, it was fascinating to hear his process of how he pieces the toys together. Check it out HERE!
You can find The Moon Minis at www.themoonminis.com.
BTW, I was very uncomfortable when Mr. Freeze yelled FREEZE! :-)
- Iron Man Wants Everyone to Know That Bleeding Cool Will Rewrite Comics History on Monday #MarvelDeclassified - July 19, 2018
- FX Spotlights Legion, American Horror Story, Mayans M.C., and Archer at Comic-Con FXhibition - July 19, 2018
- Captina of Our Hearts – The John Barrowman Panel at San Diego Comic-Con - July 19, 2018
- Hyundai Unveils Iron Man Themed Kona SUV at San Diego Comic-Con - July 19, 2018
- Christophe Bec and Stefano Raffaele’s ‘Under’ Heads to the Big Screen - July 19, 2018