Last night, at 8:30 PM Saturday, March 24, in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena. to an audience of 3000, WonderCon 2018 hosted their Cosplay Masquerade for its fifteenth year. Here’s a quick look at just a few of them, taken by Jimmy L for Bleeding Cool.
Not a dance or party as the name might imply, each entry was allotted their own time on stage, and they used their giant high-definition video screen and multiple cameras to display close-up views to the audience. Most of the costume presentations were accompanied by specially prepared music, and some with elaborate choreography. Some were re-creations from the genres of comics, film, television, anime, fantasy, stage shows, video games, and history; others completely original designs from the attendees. Some were solo entries, others, groups with a shared theme. All genres are welcome, but costumes must not have been purchased or otherwise commercially obtained, and be of original construction or show significant modification of pre-existing materials.
Multiple Hugo Award winners Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio returned as Master and Mistress of Ceremonies.
Trophies were awarded for Best in Show. Judges’ Choice, Best Re-Creation, Best Original Design, Best Workmanship, Most Humorous, Most Beautiful and Best Young Fan.
And there were sponsored awards too. Frank & Son Collectible Show of the City of Industry, California gave a $500 cash prize to the costume entry they deemed to be the audience favorite.
Costume Con 36 presented, to their favorite entry, two full memberships to their May 11-14, 2018 convention in San Diego. C
And Costumer’s Guild West, Inc. presented a full scholarship and one night’s hotel to their weekend conference, Costume College to the entry their representatives select as showing the most promise.
DC Comics representatives presented a special, limited edition DC Collectibles item to the finest costume entry portraying a DC Comics character or group of characters from the DC Universe of publications and movies.
The Motion Picture Costumers, Local 705 gave a custom trophy and a generous fabric Gift Certificate for a technical award whose execution, creativity, and attention to detail most highlights an imaginative adaptation of the source or a custom design.
Cosplayverse.com awarded a leather replica Jedi belt and matching leather pouches to the entry they deemed as best Re-creation from a Science Fiction source.
Oh and the Saber Guild performance group put on a show of storyline and choreographed light-saber battling, with a brand new Star Wars costumed show with ingredients from the latest film, following them will be a mini-show by The Corps Dance Crew.
- [#WonderCon] Everyone's a Critic: Journalism in the Online Age
- MLB 2018: The Nationals Should Handle the NL East - Is it Finally Their Year?
- MLB 2018: Nobody Can Hang With Houston – Who Will Finish Second in the AL West?
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Let's Take a Look at the Han Solo LEGO Brickheadz Figure
- Universal FanCon of Baltimore 2018 Suddenly Postponed, One Week Before Event - April 20, 2018
- Gideon Falls, Power Rangers, Her Infernal Descent, and Sonic Get Multiple Printings - April 20, 2018
- What Happened to Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely, and Doug Mahnke on Action Comics #1000? - April 20, 2018
- Matt Fraction… Not on Jimmy Olsen? DC Fresh Stop? - April 20, 2018
- David F. Walker on a Flash Comic? DC Fresh Start… - April 20, 2018