Does anyone remember The Adventures of Tintin that came out back in 2011? It was based off of the famous comic, had a pretty stellar cast, cutting edge animation, and Steven Spielberg in the director’s chair. It also ended on a cliffhanger with the promise that a second movie was on the way from Peter Jackson. It’s been pretty quiet as far as the sequel goes, though. The movie made a little under $400 million worldwide, which isn’t exactly a hit as far as expensive animation projects go — and Jackson has been busy since 2011. The Hobbit movie turned into the Hobbit trilogy, and then he picked up Mortal Engines.
Spielberg is currently doing press for Ready Player One, and Premiere asked him about the long-delayed sequel.
“Peter Jackson has to do the second part. Normally, if all goes well, he will soon start working on the script. As it takes two years of animation work on the film, for you, I would not expect to see it for about three years. But Peter will stick to it. Tintin is not dead!”
So it sounds like the movie is still happening, and they’re waiting for Jackson to have time to work on it. We’re probably three years away from seeing it, though, so a sequel could easily come out in 2021 — a full 10 years after the original movie. At least it’s animated, so the passage of time doesn’t really matter for the characters.
Summary: When the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune. Wade Watts finds the first clue and starts a race for the Egg.
Ready Player One, directed by Steven Spielberg, stars Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Simon Pegg, T.J. Miller, Mark Rylance, and Ben Mendelsohn. It will be released on March 29th.
- It's Not a Stretch: Marvel Legends Has Released the Best Reed Richards Figure Yet
- Steven Universe Gets a Seriously Cool Vinyl Soundtrack Release from Iam8bit
- Daredevil Season 3: First Poster Teases Darkness - September 19, 2018
- New Behind-the-Scenes Featurette for Bad Times at the El Royale - September 15, 2018
- Longtime James Bond Writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade Have Turned in a Script Treatment for Bond 25 - September 15, 2018
- New IMAX Poster for Venom Features Exclusive Art - September 14, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Filmmakers Tease the Final Goodbyes - September 14, 2018