If you currently don’t have enough Monty Python in your life, never fear! Netflix has got you covered, apparently. The streaming service giant has acquired the entire Python catalogue of films, Flying Circus episodes, and various live performances and will be launching them sometime later this year.
The UK and Canada Netflix subscribers will actually get access to everything on April 15th (at least according to Deadline), but the US won’t until sometime later in the year (boo!).
In addition to Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning Of Life, And Now For Something Completely Different, we’ll also be getting Flying Circus, Fliegender Zirkus, Monty Python’s Personal Best, Conquers America, Almost the Truth, The Meaning of Monty Python, Best Bits (mostly) and Monty Python Live (mostly): One Down, Five To Go (the live performance from London’s O2 in 2014).
There is also talk that perhaps the surviving original Python members John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin, Eric Idle (who’s What About Dick? comedy special was also acquired), and maybe even Terry Jones will create new content for the service at a later date.
The British comedy troupe was founded in 1969 when their series Flying Circus was first broadcast on BBC. Original members Graham Chapman (who passed away in 1989) and Cleese knew each other from pre-Python days, as the pair wrote together for other notable comedians of the day. To this day, there is only 1 American member of the troupe, Terry Gilliam.
I’m holding out for Michael Palin’s Around the World in 80 Days, because it was pretty fabulous.
- What's Going on with Terry Gilliam's 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' Now?
- At Long Last, Terry Gilliam Has Screened "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote"
- Updates on Terry Gilliam, Cannes Decision, and More
- UPDATE- Terry Gilliam Suffers Stroke, Amazon Pulls Distribution For 'Quixote'
- It's Not a Stretch: Marvel Legends Has Released the Best Reed Richards Figure Yet
- John Wick Figure Coming in Winter from MAFEX
- Lids and WWE Partner Up for New Line of Superstar Hats, Available Now