For those of us who have been really curious as to whether or not we’d be able to play Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch at E3, we finally got an answer today from Nintendo, in a sense. Below is a tweet that went up from the official Nintendo Versus account that confirmed a couple different tournaments will be taking place at the event in June, including a Super Smash Bros. Invitational.
The Super #SmashBros Invitational 2018 and #Splatoon2 World Championship 2018 tournaments will take place in Los Angeles the week of #E32018! Watch the competition on Nintendo’s Twitch & YouTube channels when the tournaments are live-streamed 6/11 & 6/12. https://t.co/wz1pIT8ndU pic.twitter.com/3itUOH8rgH
— Nintendo Versus (@NintendoVS) March 22, 2018
The news was later confirmed by IGN, in an interview with Nintendo of America’s senior product marketing manager Bill Trinen, who said the Switch version would be at E3 as part of the invitational to show the game off.
“We look at the Invitational from both a tournament perspective and a play perspective. We plan on showcasing high level, world-class play with Super Smash Bros for Switch, and we also plan on showcasing the game in a way that highlights how fun it can be for players and different ways that players will enjoy playing the game. I think that’s something that’s a bit unique to Nintendo’s approach to these types of tournaments.” Trinen told IGN. “We try to design them in a way that’s welcoming to both people who are really into the esports side of things, but also to people who maybe don’t spend as much time watching esports but are still interested in seeing fun competitive play.”
Nintendo still has no plans (that we’re aware of) to get involved in the Smash Bros. esports community beyond holding their own isolated tournaments, but it is cool to know that people in the invitation will have access to the game before it launches. Which may be a good sign for the rest of us possibly being able to try out a demo of the game at E3.
- Did You Know Gaming Documents Every Super Smash Bros. Rumor Ever
- Nintendo Announces Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018 Tournament Participants
- Two Characters Possibly Returning to Super Smash Bros. and New Story Mode
- Twitch and Shout! Factory Partner for a ReBoot Marathon
- Xbox's Phil Spencer Says They're Down for Banjo-Kazooie to Appear in Super Smash Bros.
- Funimation Wants Goku to Join the Cast of Super Smash Bros. on the Switch
- Dragon Ball FighterZ Currently Holds the Most Evo 2018 Entrants
- Masahiro Sakurai Confirms He's Working on a New Super Smash Bros.
- Super Smash Bros. Announced for Nintendo Switch, and It's Coming This Year
- Predictably, Aimbots Have Come to Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - October 19, 2018
- Insomniac Games Releases Two New Patches for Marvel’s Spider-Man - October 19, 2018
- Pac-Man Will Appear On Cans of Red Bull Because… Nostalgia? - October 19, 2018
- Check Out the Launch Trailer for Dark Souls: Remastered on Switch - October 19, 2018
- Dead By Daylight Launches “The Hallowed Blight” Halloween Event - October 19, 2018