Disney might be doing a lot right these days, but they aren’t hitting it out of the park all the time. When it comes to The Muppets there is one famous puppeteer that thinks Disney is dropping the ball — big time. In a recent interview with Frank Oz in The Hollywood Reporter Oz mentioned that he believes Disney just doesn’t “get it”.
“As much as Disney loves The Muppets and wants the best for The Muppets — and they truly believe they can do it — they don’t get it,” Oz said. “They don’t get the true rebellion and true affection underneath those characters.”
Oz, who just recently came back to Star Wars under Disney, goes on to say that he believes Disney has the best intentions but that they aren’t talking to the right people. In this case, it’s not talking to people who are actually puppeteers.
“By the way, I don’t mean to knock Disney, they really want to do a good job. They’ve never asked me, and they have not asked the performers how to do it,” he says. “If they just did that — the performers are so brilliant — instead of an outside person, let the performers lead. Then it would be a whole different deal. The audience would appreciate the purity of that.”
It’s weird that The Muppets‘ return to the small screen ended up not working after the first incarnation of the show was so big. On a personal level, the first time I ever saw Elton John perform on TV in person was on The Muppet Show. Now it sounds like we’ll be getting another version of The Muppets on the Disney streaming service, so maybe they’ll get it right this time.
- Daredevil Season 3: Peter Halpin Joins the Cast as Theo Nelson - October 18, 2018
- Watch Our Heroes Do Some Training in This New Robin Hood Clip - October 18, 2018
- Sophie Turner Talks Incorporating Mental Illness into Dark Phoenix - October 18, 2018
- Joshua Bassett Set to Star in High School Musical: The Musical for the Disney Streaming Service - October 17, 2018
- Arrowverse Crossover Elseworlds: First Look at Lois Lane, Black Suited Superman, and a Poster - October 17, 2018