Disney might be doing a lot right these days, but they aren’t hitting it out of the park all the time. When it comes to The Muppets there is one famous puppeteer that thinks Disney is dropping the ball — big time. In a recent interview with Frank Oz in The Hollywood Reporter Oz mentioned that he believes Disney just doesn’t “get it”.
“As much as Disney loves The Muppets and wants the best for The Muppets — and they truly believe they can do it — they don’t get it,” Oz said. “They don’t get the true rebellion and true affection underneath those characters.”
Oz, who just recently came back to Star Wars under Disney, goes on to say that he believes Disney has the best intentions but that they aren’t talking to the right people. In this case, it’s not talking to people who are actually puppeteers.
“By the way, I don’t mean to knock Disney, they really want to do a good job. They’ve never asked me, and they have not asked the performers how to do it,” he says. “If they just did that — the performers are so brilliant — instead of an outside person, let the performers lead. Then it would be a whole different deal. The audience would appreciate the purity of that.”
It’s weird that The Muppets‘ return to the small screen ended up not working after the first incarnation of the show was so big. On a personal level, the first time I ever saw Elton John perform on TV in person was on The Muppet Show. Now it sounds like we’ll be getting another version of The Muppets on the Disney streaming service, so maybe they’ll get it right this time.
- Joe Russo Gave Tom Holland a Fake Avengers: Infinity War Script - April 19, 2018
- Colin Trevorrow Says Jurassic World 3 Will Be a “Science Thriller” like Jurassic Park - April 18, 2018
- Brad Bird Explains Why There Is No Time Jump in Incredibles 2 - April 18, 2018
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – The New Direction While Remaining True to the Universe - April 18, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War – Shuri is More “Tech-Savvy” Than Iron Man - April 18, 2018