We mentioned last week that longstanding New York comic store, JHU, formed from the assets of Jim Hanley’s Universe by its ex-managers, was running a crowdfunding appeal to facilitate a move to a new location and a creation of a different style of store, while remaining centrally in Manhattan
They have now announced a location. 481 3rd Avenue, between 32nd and 33rd street. I think it’s this where this chiropodist is currently located, here.
Jim Hanley adds a little history to the area, saying “My first job was at 490 Third Avenue. My 4th, for the same bosses, was at 478. I lived at 2017 East 33rd, the third house on the block, from Third Avenue. I bought my comics at about ten places in a ten-block radius from there. There was no place I could trust to have everything I wanted (but often couldn’t afford). 481 may be the address for Emil Shattner’s Delicatessen, the place whose salads I’ve been searching for, in vain, since the whole corner there was torn down in 1970. I always wanted to have a store on Third Avenue. Now, I can live vicariously through you guys.”
The new location will be opening in the next few weeks. Those who would like to join recent donors such as Klaus Janson, Charles Soule, Joseph Cavalieri, Greg Pak, Jeff Lemire, Dean Haspiel, Matthew Rosenberg, Reilly Brown, Amy Chu, Jen Grunwald, Jamal Igle and rival New York comic store Hypno-Tronic Comics in helping can do so here. They are halfway to their $30,000 goal. May I suggest a little love from the New Yorkers who have relocated to Portland or Burbank? Assuage your guilt…
I am also envisioning a chain of volunteers moving the long boxes my hand from one location to the other. Why pay for moving services? All comic book readers of a certain dedication love grasping a long box.
- The Futures of Turtles, Ponies, Ghostbusters, and Kyle Baker’s Black Panther Debuts in IDW January 2019 Solicitations - October 17, 2018
- Christopher Jones’ Cover For Doctor Who Day’s Thirteenth Doctor #1 - October 16, 2018
- More DC Comics Move From 20 to 22 Pages For $3.99 With Aquaman and Justice League Joining In - October 16, 2018
- Dan Slott Applies to Trademark a Comic Book Called ‘Future Me’ - October 16, 2018
- Details On The ‘King-Size’ Kirby Is Fantastic Hardcover From Marvel Comics – The First of Many - October 16, 2018