Responding to negative reaction since they announced a memorial women’s battle royal match named after deceased WWE Hall of Famer The Fabulous Moolah, WWE has dropped Moolah from the name. Now, the match will be known as the WrestleMania Battle Royal. WWE announced the Fabulous Moolah Memorial Battle Royal this week via a video featuring various WWE Superstars praising Moolah as a pioneer of women’s wrestling. However, Moolah’s history, which involves allegations of financial and sexual exploitation of wrestlers she trained, fueled backlash on social media and article on mainstream media sites calling attention to those allegations.
Sandwich-themed Hollywood gossip site The Wrap received a statement from WWE explaining the change:
After further consideration, we believe it’s best to proceed with the name ‘WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal.’ What remains most important is that this historic match is part of WWE’s unwavering commitment to the Women’s Division.
Now what about that Warrior Award?
- X-ual Healing: X-Men Gold Finally Hits Its Stride in X-Men Gold #26 - April 21, 2018
- Those Nerds at Archaia Want You to Spend Your Summer Reading Graphic Novels - April 21, 2018
- Image is Selling All 6 Volumes of Rick Remender and Wes Craig’s Deadly Class for $23 This Weekend - April 21, 2018
- IDW’s EuroComics to Publish Serena Blasco’s Enola Holmes Graphic Novels - April 21, 2018
- Archie Comics Targets Generation Z With Epistolary Fiction on Yarn App - April 21, 2018