Responding to negative reaction since they announced a memorial women’s battle royal match named after deceased WWE Hall of Famer The Fabulous Moolah, WWE has dropped Moolah from the name. Now, the match will be known as the WrestleMania Battle Royal. WWE announced the Fabulous Moolah Memorial Battle Royal this week via a video featuring various WWE Superstars praising Moolah as a pioneer of women’s wrestling. However, Moolah’s history, which involves allegations of financial and sexual exploitation of wrestlers she trained, fueled backlash on social media and article on mainstream media sites calling attention to those allegations.
Sandwich-themed Hollywood gossip site The Wrap received a statement from WWE explaining the change:
After further consideration, we believe it’s best to proceed with the name ‘WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal.’ What remains most important is that this historic match is part of WWE’s unwavering commitment to the Women’s Division.
Now what about that Warrior Award?
- In Goodbye Post for X-Men Red, Tom Taylor Says He Could Have Written Series for Years - December 12, 2018
- Marvel Unlimited Comes Into the Spider-Verse With Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham - December 12, 2018
- Is Tom Taylor Planning to Kill the DC Universe? - December 12, 2018
- Mark Bagley and Chip Zdarsky Launch a Mini-Series Where Spider-Man Ages in Real Time - December 12, 2018
- That Time Bruce Wayne Teamed Up With Donald Trump… In Real Life?! - December 12, 2018