Responding to negative reaction since they announced a memorial women’s battle royal match named after deceased WWE Hall of Famer The Fabulous Moolah, WWE has dropped Moolah from the name. Now, the match will be known as the WrestleMania Battle Royal. WWE announced the Fabulous Moolah Memorial Battle Royal this week via a video featuring various WWE Superstars praising Moolah as a pioneer of women’s wrestling. However, Moolah’s history, which involves allegations of financial and sexual exploitation of wrestlers she trained, fueled backlash on social media and article on mainstream media sites calling attention to those allegations.
Sandwich-themed Hollywood gossip site The Wrap received a statement from WWE explaining the change:
After further consideration, we believe it’s best to proceed with the name ‘WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal.’ What remains most important is that this historic match is part of WWE’s unwavering commitment to the Women’s Division.
Now what about that Warrior Award?
- Sophie Campbell to Write and Draw the Leonardo Macro Issue for IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - July 19, 2018
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder in Hell, a 5-Issue Mini-Series by Mateus Santolouco, Hits Comic Stores in Early 2019 - July 19, 2018
- #CloneWarsSaved: Popular Star Wars Animated Series The Clone Wars Returns - July 19, 2018
- Comcast Drops Out of Fox Bidding War as Humanity Marches Towards Bold Future of Few Corporations Owning Everything Forever - July 19, 2018
- DC Announces New DC Ink and DC Zoom Comics by Louise Simonson, Marieke Nijkamp, Sarah Kuhn, and More! - July 19, 2018