There are quite a few things that make American Animals a fun little movie to watch but one of them is the sharp right turn it makes about halfway through the movie. Barry Keoghan, making a much bigger name for himself this year for his supporting roles in The Killing of Sacred Deer and Dunkirk, gives understated performances and this time really plays a man so out of his own depths so quickly it’s hard to keep up. Keoghan spoke to us on the red carpet for the South by Southwest 2018 premiere about what that was like as an actor.
What Bart wanted to made it like a roller coaster and then boom, reality hits. So I wanted to make it like — my character’s story [is] Spencer’s never really in from the start. He needs Warren to kind of push him in and get him to do it. So yeah it was kind of hyping up at the start, make it a bit fun, then when the real but comes in I put myself in that place.
This is the first lead performance that Keoghan has done and that made this a very unique set experience for him.
Every day, especially for me and playing a lead role. It’s stamina, is what I’ve learned, try and reserve your energy.
For more from Keoghan including how he approached this as a lead compared to supporting and his Sundance experience watch the full interview below.
Four young men mistake their lives for a movie and attempt one of the most audacious heists in U.S. history.
American Animals, directed by Bart Layton, stars Evan Peters, Barry Keoghan, Blake Jenner, Jared Abrahamson, Udo Kier, and Ann Dowd. It will be released on June 1st.
- [#SXSW] Walking Through the Ready Player One Activation
- [#SXSW 2018] American Animals: Bart Layton Red Carpet Interview
- [#SXSW] Krypton: Doomsday, Time Travel, and More
- [SXSW 2018] Ryan Holiday Talks the Fascinating Downfall of Gawker
- [SXSW] Ready Player One Events Announced
- Sonic the Hedgehog's Future to Be Revealed at SXSW
- Ready Player One: What Everyone Wants from the OASIS - March 24, 2018
- Steven S. DeKnight Wants to Make a Moon Knight Show - March 24, 2018
- Steven Spielberg Confirms the Tintin Sequel is Still Happening - March 24, 2018
- Steven Spielberg Talks Keeping References from His Own Movies out of Ready Player One - March 23, 2018
- Pacific Rim Uprising’s Director Talks Raleigh Becket’s Fate - March 23, 2018