Four members of the Overwatch League have received warnings and in three cases fines from the league today for various infractions on social and streaming media, all for offensive, racial, and homophobic content. We have the list of offenses below and the actions they’ve taken, courtesy of the league’s website. Considering how toxic some of the Overwatch community can be in esports arenas, the league shouldn’t be surprised by any of this as a walk through any Twitter feed of player reactions from previous tournaments can show a bevy of poor choices in responses. Don’t be surprised if you see teams part with players moving into Phase 3 in April.
Timo “Taimou” Kettunen, of the Dallas Fuel, is fined $1,000 for using anti-gay slurs on his personal stream.
Tae-yeong “TaiRong” Kim, of the Houston Outlaws, has received a formal warning for posting an offensive meme on social media. After the incident, TaiRong issued an unprompted public apology, and made a donation to the Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation, actions which were taken into account when determining the judgment against him.
Ted “Silkthread” Wang, of the Los Angeles Valiant, is fined $1,000 for account sharing, a violation of the Blizzard End User License Agreement.
Félix “xQc” Lengyel, of the Dallas Fuel, is suspended for four matches, effective March 12, and fined $4,000. xQc repeatedly used an emote in a racially disparaging manner on the league’s stream and on social media, and used disparaging language against Overwatch League casters and fellow players on social media and on his personal stream. Previously, xQc has been warned, fined, and suspended for similar infractions.
- Overwatch Shows Off the Artwork That Went Into Brigitte
- Overwatch Will Nerf Sombra Again in the Next Patch
- Brigitte Will Be Added to Overwatch on March 20th
- Evo 2018 Organizer Contacts FBI After Mass-Shooting Threat on Twitch
- Overwatch League's London Spitefire Part Ways With Head Coach Mid-Stage
- The Rainbow Six Siege ESL Premiership Finals will Take Place This Weekend
- Jordan "n0thing" Gilbert Panel Added to SXSW Gaming
- Overwatch League's Florida Mayhem are Raising Money for Parkland Shooting Victims
- Blizzard Creates Animation of Zenyatta Walking After Fan Request, and It's the Best
- Valve is Apparently Launching Its Own Streaming Channel Called Stream TV - August 18, 2018
- Federal Judge Blocks Player from Cheating at Grand Theft Auto Online - August 18, 2018
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey’s Latest Episode Takes to the Seas - August 18, 2018
- Is New Super Mario Bros. U Coming to the Nintendo Switch? - August 18, 2018
- Six Major Paris 2018: Semifinals – G2 Esports vs. Team Secret - August 18, 2018