My personal biggest concern with the Disney acquisition of FOX and its assets was how the shakeup would affect Fox Searchlight. Sure, there are several other issues (monopoly, anyone?) that can and will stem from such a large business deal, but Searchlight was the big one for the film division.
The Fox Searchlight studio prides itself on finding special films with special storytelling, and obviously that pride was well rewarded at the Oscars this year. The Shape of Water (which had the most nominations of a single film this year) and Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri were both awards season darlings, bringing in some of the biggest accolades and wins — both of which are Fox Searchlight releases.
Obviously, Disney CEO Bob Iger knows this, and during the annual shareholders meeting this morning in Houston he said:
“We have every intention once the acquisition is approved to maintain the business of Fox Searchlight. We think they’re in the business of making high quality films.”
He went on to say (apparently) that Disney didn’t have any live-action movies nominated for best picture, so “it was easy to root for Fox Searchlight.” He later added that Disney doesn’t “have any plans right now to change what they do. Frankly, we think they’re doing just fine.”
The shareholders meeting covered a variety of subjects, including the results of a new board of directors voting. You can read those results on Variety.
- Classic Disney Film Lady and the Tramp to Get Live-Action Remake Treatment
- Review – Strangers: Prey at Night is Proof Why Some Films Don't Need Sequels
- Groot and Rocket Are the Latest Avengers: Infinity War Hot Toys Announced
- Stranger Things Faves Dustin and Lucas on Their Way from McFarlane
- Star Wars Villain Jabba the Hutt Joins Sideshow Collectibles' Sixth Scale Figure Line
- DC Collectibles and Sideshow Announce New Partnership
- Jimmy Kimmel Fires Back at Trump for Low Rating Oscars Comment
- Oscars 2018 Complete Winners List
- Report: Fox Developing Silver Surfer Movie Written by Brian K. Vaughan
- 21st Century Fox President Comments on Those Comcast Rumors
- Bob Iger Confirms "A Few" Star Wars TV Shows For Disney Streaming Service
- Anybody Want to Buy a Sony?
- Former Apple, Samsung Exec to Head Disney's Streaming Netflix-Competing Service
- Cosmos Finally Picked Up for a Second Season
- Rumor: The Part of Fox That Disney Didn't Buy Could Buy WWE
- Bob Iger Says There's a Possibility of a Marvel R-Rated Brand After Disney Buys Fox
- Disney Officially Makes $52.4 Billion Deal to Acquire Fox
- Whats Gonna Happen in ‘Outlander’ Season 4 Episode 7 “Down The Rabbit Hole”?! - December 12, 2018
- You’ve Heard of Elf on a Self, Get Ready for ‘The Predator’ Holiday Special?! - December 12, 2018
- Jordan Peele’s ‘The Twilight Zone’ Gains Steven Yuen - December 12, 2018
- DC Universe’s ‘Swamp Thing’ Adds Ian Ziering as Blue Devil - December 12, 2018
- ‘The Mandalorian’ Adds Werner Herzog, Giancarlo Esposito to Cast - December 12, 2018