The production of Solo: A Star Wars Story was a bit of a mess, to make an understatement. There was a huge shift in directors halfway through the production, and with that came a lot a reshoots. One of the problems with these reshoots was that one of the stars had to walk away from the production. Michael K. Williams was supposed to play the gangster Dryden Vos but wasn’t able to make it because of commitments to The Red Sea Diving Resort, so he was replaced. Williams recently spoke to Entertainment Weekly about getting cut.
“There are some things in life, you just gotta laugh at it,” says Williams. “That was such an odd turn of events. That’s not the norm. As crazy a town as Hollywood is — I like to be the one that says I’ve seen a little bit of everything in this town — that was one for the textbooks. What are the odds of that happening? There comes a point, you just gotta throw your hands up and, you know what, it just wasn’t meant to be.”
This is very true. It’s odd for a huge tentpole movie like Star Wars to replace directors so far into production, so there really was nothing anyone could have done. The hardest thing for Williams was the fact that audiences won’t get to see what he and the cast created.
“I will tell you this much though,” Williams adds. “What saddens me most is I was very proud of the work that I did. What I believe I have created with Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson and Alden [Ehrenreich, who plays Solo]… I thought it was some great work. We was on the spaceship, and we all had these amazing scenes together, and I thought it was a great opportunity, and I thought it was some great stuff. It’s unfortunate the world won’t get to see it.”
This is a movie people are going to dissecting to see if they can spot the reshoots. It sounds like Williams was really happy with the work he did, and it’s a shame we won’t get to see it.
Summary: Han Solo and Chewbacca’s adventures before joining the Rebellion, including their early encounters with Lando Calrissian.
Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Ron Howard, stars Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, and Thandie Newton. It will be released May 25th.
- Zachary Levi Shares a First Look at the Shazam! Costume - May 21, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story’s Alden Ehrenreich Lays Down the Law: Han Shot First - May 21, 2018
- John Wick: Chapter 3 Adds Anjelica Huston, Asia Kate Dillon, 5 More - May 21, 2018
- Warner Bros. Releases a Trailer, Poster, and Behind-the-Scenes Featurette for Mowgli - May 21, 2018
- Halle Berry Has Joined the Cast of John Wick: Chapter 3 - May 21, 2018