ABC has decided that The Good Doctor truly is good, renewing the hit medical drama for a second season. The series stars Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel) as an autistic surgeon named Shaun Murphy, who moves to California to work at a prestigious hospital. Also in the cast are Nicholas Gonzalez, Antonia Thomas, Chuku Modu, Beau Garrett, Irene Keng, Hill Harper, Richard Schiff, and Tamlyn Tomita.
The Good Doctor is averaging 10 million total viewers in its first season, with a 1.8 demo rating. That makes the freshman series ABC’s most-watched and second-highest-rated series, just behind Grey’s Anatomy. The series returns on March 11th with its season finale airing on March 26th.
ABC made the announcement this morning on their social media. There has been no word on an episode count for the second season, with the first going 18 episodes instead of the standard 22 of most network television series. Highmore’s recent Golden Globe nomination may have helped along the early renewal, too. It’s the first drama ABC has renewed this season (the network doesn’t normally do early renewals). They have renewed comedies Modern Family and The Goldbergs as well, Plus, they have two straight-to-series orders for next season with Nathan Fillion‘s The Rookie and Take Two.
— The Good Doctor (@GoodDoctorABC) March 7, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018