BoJack Horseman creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg is expanding his animated streaming service horizons beyond Netflix with his new half-hour animated dramedy series Undone for Amazon. Co-created by Bob-Waksberg and BoJack Horseman writer-producer Kate Purdy and starring Rosa Salazar (The Maze Runner films) and Angelique Cabral (Life in Pieces), the series marks Amazon Studios’ first foray into adult-focused animation.
“We’re delighted to greenlight our first animated half-hour series. Kate and Raphael are dynamic and creative forces, and I know they will create an amazing series for us. I can’t wait for our customers to see it in 2019.”
– Sharon Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios
Undone explores the elastic nature of reality through its main protagonist, Alma (Salazar). After getting into a near fatal car accident, Alma discovers that she has a new relationship with time and uses this new ability to seek the truth behind her father’s death.
Currently in production with an expected 2019 premiere on Amazon Prime Video in over 200 countries and territories, Undone is executive produced by Bob-Waksberg, Purdy, Noel Bright (BoJack Horseman), Steven A. Cohen (BoJack Horseman) and Tommy Pallotta (A Scanner Darkly); with Tornante Company producing. Dutch artist Hisko Hulsing (Montage of Heck) has been asked to oversee production design and coordinate a team of animators working in the Netherlands. Amsterdam-based studio Submarine and Austin-based studio Minnow Mountain will be sharing animation responsibilities.
“Hisko’s beautiful artwork and masterful use of light and color will create a look never seen before on a television show that will make audiences lose their minds.”
– Raphael Bob-Waksberg
Salazar is set to lead Alita: Battle Angel from Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron for Twentieth Century Fox and can also be seen in the upcoming Bird Box and The Kindergarten Teacher. Bob-Waksberg, BoJack Horseman writer-producer Lisa Hanawalt and Tornante recently saw their new animated series Tuca & Bertie get the greenlight from Netflix. Tiffany Haddish (Girls Trip) is set to voice the lead character and executive produce.
“We are grateful to Amazon Studios for the opportunity to tell Alma’s story and follow her as she seeks to find a deeper meaning to her existence.” – Kate Purdy
- Unboxing the DC Legion of Collectors Green Lantern Funko Box
- Mondo Music Release of the Week: Josie and the Pussycats and Sonic!
- Michelle Wolf’s Looking to ‘Break’ Late-Night in New Netflix Series Trailer - May 22, 2018
- Netflix’s ‘Big Mouth’ Season 2 Adds Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez, Wonder Woman’s David Thewlis - May 22, 2018
- I’m Dying Up Here’s Ginger Gonzaga Joins Jim Carrey’s Showtime Comedy Series ‘Kidding’ - May 21, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 7 Preview: Naomi Tries Convincing Madison to Leave - May 21, 2018
- SundanceTV, AMC Networks Join for Series Adaptation of Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose - May 21, 2018