When the big story points of Star Wars: The Last Jedi happened, a lot of fans were left wondering if those plans had been there since the beginning. Despite the fact that director Rian Johnson said many times that Lucasfilm and Disney let him make the movie he wanted, certain fans were obsessed with whether or not certain plot points were pre-determined. We don’t really have a straight answer to that, but Daisy Ridley did an interview with a French magazine called Le Magazine GEEK (via Star Wars News Net) and was asked about Rey’s fate.
“Here’s what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.”
It sounds like Johnson threw out most of that script, but some things probably made their way in regardless. We just don’t know what those things are, and we might not ever know. Now that Abrams is set to direct Episode IX, we’ll have to see how they decide to wrap all of this up.
Summary: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, and Adam Driver.
- Ren and Stimpy Finish Out Mondo Nick Week With New Poster and Pins
- Tom Holland is First Avenger to Deliver Toys to Kids as Part of the Marvel: The Universe Unites Campaign
- 'The Hamilton Polka' from Weird Al Yankovic Is Here
- 20th Century Fox Brings the Fun to Their Panel for The Predator - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Comic-Con Iron Fist Season 2 Panel Live-Blog - July 19, 2018
- First Teaser Trailer for Series 11 of Doctor Who Debuts at SDCC [VIDEO] - July 19, 2018
- At SDCC, Working Geek Moms Still Gotta Bring Home a Gift - July 19, 2018
- New Line Cinema Announces a 3rd Movie in the Annabelle Series at Scarediego - July 19, 2018