When the big story points of Star Wars: The Last Jedi happened, a lot of fans were left wondering if those plans had been there since the beginning. Despite the fact that director Rian Johnson said many times that Lucasfilm and Disney let him make the movie he wanted, certain fans were obsessed with whether or not certain plot points were pre-determined. We don’t really have a straight answer to that, but Daisy Ridley did an interview with a French magazine called Le Magazine GEEK (via Star Wars News Net) and was asked about Rey’s fate.
“Here’s what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.”
It sounds like Johnson threw out most of that script, but some things probably made their way in regardless. We just don’t know what those things are, and we might not ever know. Now that Abrams is set to direct Episode IX, we’ll have to see how they decide to wrap all of this up.
Summary: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Carrie Fisher, and Adam Driver.
- Ren and Stimpy Finish Out Mondo Nick Week With New Poster and Pins
- Tom Holland is First Avenger to Deliver Toys to Kids as Part of the Marvel: The Universe Unites Campaign
- 'The Hamilton Polka' from Weird Al Yankovic Is Here
- Maleficent 2 Adds Actress Jenn Murray to the Cast - May 20, 2018
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool 2 Is How You Do LGBTQ+ Representation Right [Spoilers] - May 20, 2018
- Ryan Reynolds Talks About Introducing Cable in Deadpool 2 - May 20, 2018
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge Didn’t Know What a Droid Was When She Auditioned for Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 20, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – Lawrence Kasdan Talks Fan Criticism - May 20, 2018