Netflix is filling up the Spellman family as they move forward on production of their untitled Sabrina the Teenage Witch project lead by Riverdale showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. The latest casting notice tells us that Miranda Otto (Homeland) has joined the series as Aunt Zelda, an official series regular.
The character is described as: “Proud and devout, Zelda believes there is no greater honor than serving the Dark Lord as a member of the Church of Night. She is the family’s disciplinarian, fiercely protective of Sabrina and very much Cain to Hilda’s Abel.” Otto joins a cast that includes Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina, Lucy Davis as Aunt Hilda, Jaz Sincleair as Rosalind (Sabrina’s best friend), Michelle Gomez as Mary Wardell (Sabrina’s possessed teacher) and Chance Perdomo as Cousin Ambrose.
While there was a more comical version of Sabrina in the late 90s early 2000s, the new take is based on the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comics that is more of a dark coming-of-age story mixed with horror elements, the occult, and witchcraft. In the new take, Sabrina is trying to reconcile the duality of her nature — half-witch, half-mortal — while protecting the world from evil forces. So, probably not nearly as many laughs as the other version.
Otto has recently recurred in Homeland and 24: Legacy but she may be most recognizable as Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings movies The Two Towers and Return of the King.
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 12 Recap: Can’t Front On Me - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 11 Recap: The Creator - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 10 Recap: The Main Ingredient - June 23, 2018
- Rosario Dawson on Exploring if Claire Temple is Really Helping - June 23, 2018
- Theo Rossi on How There is Nothing Else Like Marvel’s Luke Cage on Television - June 23, 2018