Splatoon 2 has hit a major milestone in Japan, becoming the first Nintendo Switch game to sell over 2 million copies.
Splatoon 2 does well all across the world. It’s one of Nintendo’s most beloved IP nowadays, showing the company still has a knack for creating great franchises that people latch onto. It’s success elsewhere is dwarfed by that in Japan though. Over there, it seems like it might one of the biggest franchises of the last few years in the entire medium. When we think of the Nintendo Switch, Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are probably the first games to pop into our mind, but over there, it seems Splatoon 2 reigns supreme.
Here is a nice statistic to prove that too. Famitsu (via Siliconera) are reporting that Splatoon 2 has now sold 2 million copies in the territory, marking the first game on the console to do so. What’s impressive is that Splatoon 2 actually arrived after the launch of the console too. It reached the record within 30 weeks, between July 21, 2017 to February 11, 2018.
The number only becomes more impressive still when you see the attachment rate of the console. The report says that those 2 million copies have been bought for the 3.7 million total Switches sold in Japan. That’s an attachment rate of around 54%, which is bananas.
Of course, as stated before, the game does pretty great over here too. What this tells us is that the franchise’s future seems pretty secure. There is obviously a huge appetite for the series, and I expect Nintendo will keep feeding that hunger for years to come.
- Splatoon 2 Received a Major Content Update Overnight
- Chicken Beats Egg in Latest Splatoon 2 Splatfest
- Love Conquers All! At Least, It Did In Splatoon 2's Recent Splatfest
- Subsurface Circular Set for a Nintendo Switch Release in March
- In Case You Need More Valentines, Nintendo Has Your Back
- Quake Champions Extends its Free-to-Play Period Another Week - June 19, 2018
- Epic Games Removing Exploit that Allowed Players to Unintentionally Create a Swastika - June 19, 2018
- AJ Styles is the WWE 2K19 Cover Star - June 19, 2018
- Fallout 76’s Beta is Coming to Xbox One First - June 19, 2018
- EA is Talking About Cross-Play for FIFA, Says Creative Director - June 18, 2018