It was only a matter of time before someone decided to make a movie based on Call of Duty. Ever since the 4th game came out and changed gaming as we know it, ushering in generation after generation of people trying to emulate the formula, there have been rumblings. The rumblings, however, didn’t make a lot of sense and they made even less sense when rumors of a cinematic universe for Call of Duty came out. While most movies used to be pitched as trilogies now movies are pitched with entire universes because that is movie making these days.
The first step in creating this universe is getting the first movie off of the ground and Activision Blizzard Studios have taken their first steps in doing just that. According to Variety Stefano Sollima, the director of Sicario 2: Soldado, is in talks to direct the first movie in the series.
Activision Blizzard Studios’ presidents Stacey Sher and Nick van Dyk are producing along with Activision Blizzard chief executive Bobby Kotick. Kieran Fitzgerald penned the script and will develop with Sollima. The film is currently without a distributor.
We don’t know any plot details yet but if you’re thinking you might be able to guess them based on the plots of the games, such as the one from the 4th movie that is critically acclaimed, you’d be wrong.
During an interview with the Guardian last April, they both discussed how they were putting together a universe that will draw on the feel of the different incarnations of the game rather than bringing over existing plots. With that said, its unknown what era this game would focus on though its likely to stay in present day.
If the Dark Universe and its failure has taught us anything it’s that the mighty can and will fall if you don’t do the work. There have been way weirder concepts than this that have turned out okay. The idea of a cinematic universe a little over a decade ago sounded like a crazy idea so who knows which way this one will go.
- Avengers: Infinity War LEGO Sets Officially Revealed Ahead of Toy Fair
- Solo: A Star Wars Story LEGO Millennium Falcon Details Released
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Toys Revealed by Hasbro Ahead of Toy Fair
- CinemaCon Sony Presentation Live Blog - April 23, 2018
- Joe Russo Gave Tom Holland a Fake Avengers: Infinity War Script - April 19, 2018
- Colin Trevorrow Says Jurassic World 3 Will Be a “Science Thriller” like Jurassic Park - April 18, 2018
- Brad Bird Explains Why There Is No Time Jump in Incredibles 2 - April 18, 2018
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – The New Direction While Remaining True to the Universe - April 18, 2018