Guerrilla Games has taken home a win from the Writers Guild of America’s annual WGA Awards for best video game writing which should come as no major surprise to anyone who has played the game.
The Writers Guild of America awards are an annual celebration rewarding movies, video games and TV categories for their writing. Horizon: Zero Dawn won the WGA for best video game writing, beating Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Madden NFL 18: Longshot, and Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow. Considering the nominees, it really doesn’t seem as if the competition was particularly stiff. While an improvement for Madden games, Longshot was far from a major achievement in video game writing. Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow relied heavily upon its source material, leaving only Dishonored as any major contest for the win.
“As writers who care deeply about the craft of telling stories, it’s incredibly exciting for us to be receiving this award in the company of so many other writers whose work we admire and appreciate,” said narrative director, John Gonzalez, who accepted the award on behalf of Guerilla Games along with lead writer Benjamin McCaw, reports GamesIndustry.biz.
“We want to dedicate this award to two women who did not live to see this tonight. Our mothers, Ann Gonzalez and Susan McCaw,” Gonzalez said as he accepted the award. “It is no coincidence that their sons went on to write an epic with a strong female protagonist in which human love in general, and maternal love in particular loomed so large. We learned that from them. This is for them. Thank you, they are not forgotten.”
- Guerrilla Games Appears to Be Working on a New RPG
- Funko is Releasing a Line of Fortnite Collectibles Soon - July 18, 2018
- Epic Games Has Earned $1 Billion in Fortnite in-Game Purchases - July 18, 2018
- 505 Games Debuted an Animated Teaser for ‘Indivisible’ at Anime Expo - July 9, 2018
- The Halo Championship and Gears Pro Circuit are Teaming Up This Weekend - July 9, 2018
- Electronic Arts Acquires Indie Dev Studio Industrial Toys - July 9, 2018