As part of Bleeding Cool‘s never-ending mission to cover every corner of the pop culture universe — and because we have an unwavering love for dogs — we’ll be live-blogging the 142nd Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Monday, February 12th and Tuesday, February 13th from 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET; with the competition broadcast on Fox Sports 1.
Entitled Going to the Dogs, our live-blog will cover both nights of group competition from New York City’s Madison Square Garden as well as Tuesday night’s “Best in Show” finale. We’ll be offering some funny and irreverent takes on the internationally renowned canine competition from the perspective of someone whose broad knowledge base on dogs extends to never feeding them chocolate, knowing that a proper mix of wet and dry food is key, and that a tennis ball is to a dog what a large cardboard box is to an eight-year-old.
In an effort to get everyone (including ourselves) as fully knowledgeable on the different groups of dogs who will be in canine conflict Monday and Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden, the fine folks as Fox Sports 1 have put together a series of “FYI” videos that give you a little background on each of the seven groups in competition at this year’s 142nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show: Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, Herding, Sporting, Working and Terrier.
Here’s an overview of the Sporting Group; as well as the American Kennel Club (AKC)-recognized definition standard for dogs within that group (which is just a fancy way of saying that this is what the dogs in this group are all about).
SPORTING: These are gun dogs that were developed to assist the hunter, and generally have high energy and stable temperaments. Pointers and Setters point and mark the game, Spaniels flush the bird, Retrievers recover the game from land or water.
2017 Sporting Group Winner: Vermilion’s Sea Breeze — Irish Setter
— Westminster Dog Show (@WKCDOGS) February 15, 2017
- Meeting Steve Dillon While Cosplaying Jesse Custer [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 20, 2018
- Colin Cunningham Talks TC, Season 3, and Geek Guilty Pleasures [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 20, 2018
- Hulu’s ‘Castle Rock’ Expected to Haunt Comic-Con with Screening, Panel and Off-Site Fan Experience - June 19, 2018
- Jody Sizes Up Jesse in ‘Preacher’ Season 3 Preview [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 19, 2018
- Sam Catlin on Why ‘Preacher’ Works, Ending on a Strong Note and More [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s Preacher Week] - June 19, 2018