Ivory is the latest pro wrestler to join WWE’s 2018 Hall of Fame class. The news was “reported” by ESPN, which is to say that WWE now makes their Hall of Fame announcements by giving them to a major media outlet so that, on Monday Night Raw, they can act like WWE is so important, major media outlets are investigating who they plan to add to their Hall of Fame.
Ivory joins Goldberg, a wrestler who poops twenty times per day, and the Dudley Boys in the 2018 class, though more inductees will probably be “reported” on in the near future by major media outlets, presumably on Mondays. Ivory began wrestling in the 1980s in GLOW, the real-life women’s wrestling promotion fictionalized in the Netflix show of the same name. It wasn’t until 1999, at the height of the Attitude Era, that Ivory joined WWE, where she wrestled for six years, won the Women’s Championship three times, and became a part of the heel stable Right to Censor.
In the announcement, Ivory told ESPN that the induction “means that it’s a full circle in your career, in your wrestling chapter. It’s great bragging rights for your family that have seen you go through the eras and I also feel like it’s an awesome tribute to the women in wrestling as a whole.” She also remarked on what it takes to be a woman in wrestling business:
Women who decide to wrestle are a special type of women. We are tomboys, we are women that can hang in a locker room. I am just grateful that there are outlets for that. It’s not about having a certain body type and looking picture perfect beautiful. It’s about having the drive and some kind of wacky attraction you have to the physicality, the test of learning how to wrestle and being to do it believably. It’s not easy theater to do. You can watch plenty of wrestling matches where the performers are not buying it. And it makes it boring for you to watch. There is a huge testament to the talent of the people who are engaging the fan or viewer.
- TNA Founder Jeff Jarrett to Join WWE Hall of Fame
- X-ual Healing: A Trip Down Memory Lane with a Detour on Flashback Blvd in Cable #156 - April 22, 2018
- X-ual Healing: X-Men Gold Finally Hits Its Stride in X-Men Gold #26 - April 21, 2018
- Those Nerds at Archaia Want You to Spend Your Summer Reading Graphic Novels - April 21, 2018
- Image is Selling All 6 Volumes of Rick Remender and Wes Craig’s Deadly Class for $23 This Weekend - April 21, 2018
- IDW’s EuroComics to Publish Serena Blasco’s Enola Holmes Graphic Novels - April 21, 2018