As part of Bleeding Cool‘s never-ending mission to cover every corner of the pop culture universe — and because we have an unwavering love for dogs — we’ll be live-blogging the 142nd Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Monday, February 12th and Tuesday, February 13th from 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET; with the competition broadcast on Fox Sports 1.
Entitled Going to the Dogs, our live-blog will cover both nights of group competition from New York City’s Madison Square Garden as well as Tuesday night’s “Best in Show” finale. We’ll be offering some funny and irreverent takes on the internationally renowned canine competition from the perspective of someone whose broad knowledge base on dogs extends to never feeding them chocolate, knowing that a proper mix of wet and dry food is key, and that a tennis ball is to a dog what a large cardboard box is to an eight-year-old.
In an effort to get everyone (including ourselves) as fully knowledgeable on the different groups of dogs who will be in canine conflict Monday and Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden, the fine folks as Fox Sports 1 have put together a series of “FYI” videos that give you a little background on each of the seven groups in competition at this year’s 142nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show: Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, Herding, Sporting, Working and Terrier.
Here’s an overview of the Hound Group; as well as the American Kennel Club-recognized definition standard for dogs within that group (which is just a fancy way of saying that this is what the dogs in this group are all about).
HOUND: Hounds were originally classified as Sporting dogs, but were assigned their own group in 1930. These dogs are hunters that bring down the game themselves, or hold it at bay until the hunter arrives, or locate the game by tracking it by scent. Sighthounds hunt by sight, Scenthounds by tracking with their superior olfactory senses.
2017 Hound Group Winner: Vin-Melca’s Daggarwood Delight — Norwegian Elkhound
— Westminster Dog Show (@WKCDOGS) February 14, 2017
- Hulu Renews ‘Castle Rock’ Lease for “Wholly Original” Season 2 Story - August 14, 2018
- Castle Rock Season 1, Episode 6 ‘Filter’ Preview: Pangborn Needs “The Kid” to Make Good on Their Deal - August 14, 2018
- Castle Rock Rewind s01e05: A Look Back at Bleeding Cool’s Thoughts on ‘Harvest’ - August 13, 2018
- It’s 7 Blood Signs, Zero Bodies, and ‘One Dollar’ in CBS All Access’ Series Trailer - August 13, 2018
- Preacher Season 3, Episode 8 ‘The Tom/Brady’ Review: Hoover, Featherstone Shine in Manic Episode - August 13, 2018