Heritage Auctions has one of the most ridiculous collectible book auctions I’ve ever seen coming up on March 7th. 639 books in all will be available in the auction, and the items in this one are jaw-dropping. Pretty much every important work of fiction from the early to mid-20th century is here, with works by such heavyweights as James Joyce, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Leo Tolstoy, Issac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, L. Frank Baum, Truman Capote… the list goes on and on.
Auctions of this magnitude and size do not just happen every day. Check out the first page of listings and you will find original ink drawings by Charles Bukowski next to First Editions of Ralph Ellison‘s Invisible Man and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Go to page nine, and oh, there are some rare first editions of Cormac McCarthy (starting at only $1!) and some early editions of works by Hunter S. Thompson, Tennessee Williams, and my beloved John Steinbeck.
One of the main events in the Heritage Auction is a first edition, tenth printing of the J.D. Salinger novel The Catcher in the Rye, with an opening bid in the modest sum of $10,000. It is a gorgeous copy of the book, with of course some wear on the dusk jacket, but the RIGHT wear, if you get what I mean. It looks like an old book with the jacket on it. Once the jacket is off, the book itself looks pristine. Oh, did I mention that it’s freaking signed?! It has the following inscription, circa December 24th, 1951:
To Susan Bishop-
With Best Wishes,
That is just too cool for words. I worked at a used bookstore for years, and one of my favorite things would be when people would bring in inscribed books and tell us the stories behind them. Inscribed on Christmas Eve? Susan had a good Christmas that year.
Check out the auction here. Even if you can’t afford anything, feast your eyes on some of the coolest collectibles you will see for a while.
- Funko Toy Fair Reveals Part 3: Mister Rogers, Bendy, Overwatch, Weird Al, and Atomic Blonde!
- Funko Toy Fair Reveals Part 2: IT, Tomb Raider, Gossip Girl, Potter, and Bob Ross!
- NECA Debuts a Trio of Horror Figures From The Fog, Re-Animator, and a New Freddy!
- Funko Toy Fair Reveals Part 1: Disney, Doug, Wrinkle in Time, Jetsons!
- Lying in the Gutters - 11th February 2018 - An Altered Carbon Footprint
- Absolute Last Time to Get Xenoglyphs: The Complete Series
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 11th February 2018 - "We Sold Out Of Amazing Spider-Man"
- The Civil War Over Poison Ivy at DC Comics
- The Top 100 Most-Ordered Comics and Graphic Novels by Comic Stores in January 2018
- My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris, the Best Reviewed Comic of 2017
- Bleeding Cool Chatter #18.4: Comics Talk (Amazing Spider-Man #795)
- Bleeding Cool Chatter #18.5: Comics Talk (Independent Comic Recommendations)
- Bleeding Cool Chatter #18.2: Comics Talk (X-Men Red #1)
- Bleeding Cool Chatter #18.1: Comic Talk (Swamp Thing Winter Special #1)
- Dynamite and Groupees Launch a Build-Your-Own Battlestar Galactica Bundle
- Into the Dark’s ‘Pooka’ is Not Going to Become a Christmas Tradition - December 9, 2018
- BC Toy Spotting: Star Wars Black Series, WWE, LEGO, Hot Wheels, and More! - December 8, 2018
- Aquaman Baddie Black Manta Gets a Statue From Prime 1 Studio - December 8, 2018
- Riverdale Season 3, Episode 8 Preview: “Outbreak” - December 8, 2018
- Check Out Cast and Crew Talking Into the Dark’s Pooka! - December 8, 2018