It’s been a while since DC has released a new Versus video, but they are back and they’re going with variations on two of their biggest characters. Entering the Versus ring this week is the Frank Miller take on an older Bruce Wayne from Dark Knight Returns going up against the Mark Waid / Alex Ross variation of an older Kal-El from Kingdom Come.
Superman vs. Batman has been a fan favorite battle since the two characters were created in 1939/1940. The god from another planet against a human at his peak. Batman is intelligent, in peak physical condition, and has an iron will. Superman has a heart of gold and the power to bend steel in his bare hand. Often times the results of these battles come down to Batman outwitting Superman and the timely use of kryptonite.
But these aren’t the standard Bruce and Clark. This is a 55-year-old Batman who may have more experience, but has also lost a step. He can still outthink the Man of Steel, but whether or not his body can do what it needs to is another story. On the other hand, this older version of Superman is different. He’s angry and the hope that drives him is gone. He’s edgier and he took the time to make himself invulnerable to kryptonite. Where other battles came down to brains over brawn, I can’t see that happening here. Unless Batman suddenly figures out magic… there may not be a vulnerability for him to manipulate.
I’d have to go with the Kingdom Come Superman on this one.
- Dynamite Offering Entire ‘The Boys’ Trade Collection Signed by Garth Ennis - May 25, 2018
- Charlaine Harris and Christopher Golden’s ‘Cemetery Girl’ Moves to Dynamite - May 25, 2018
- A Look Inside Project Superpowers #1 by Rob Williams and Sergio Davila - May 25, 2018
- Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, and More in The Art of Halfbrick - May 25, 2018
- Robots Vs. Princesses Finds a Home at Dynamite - May 25, 2018