Droughtlander is a rough time for Outlander fans, and thankfully, STARZ kind of knows this. Emmy winning composer Bear McCreary just announced that today, the soundtrack for season 3 of the time travel show is available.
— Bear McCreary 🐻🎶 (@bearmccreary) February 9, 2018
Seriously, the guy is always working, and his list of shows and films is pretty impressive. McCreary is behind such notable scores as Battlestar Galactica (the Ron D. Moore reminaged version), 10 Cloverfield Lane, Black Sails, Knights of Badassdom, Da Vinci’s Demons (for which he won his Emmy), Colossal, and the short-lived but AWESOME Constantine NBC series.
This is the third soundtrack album from the STARZ series, and it features the third season version of the Outlander opening title melody, “The Skye Boat Song”, which has gone through several changes and versions during the previous seasons.
The official track listing for the album:
1 Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (After Culloden) [feat. Raya Yarbrough] (1:58)
2 John Grey (4:04)
3 Blood on the Moor (5:10)
4 Rupert is Next (1:34)
5 The Promise of John Grey (5:17)
6 All Debts Paid (3:40)
7 A Car Accident (3:26)
8 The Art of Seduction (2:57)
9 Willie (2:02)
10 Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (Caribbean Version) [feat. Raya Yarbrough] (2:01)
11 Wind and Rain (3:26)
12 Willoughby (2:46)
13 Uncharted (4:06)
14 The Bakra (7:14)
15 The Crocodile’s Fire (feat. Joel Virgel) (7:51)
16 Abandawe (7:06)
17 Eye of the Storm (6:08)
18 The Liberty Song (1:13)
In a recent interview, McCreary spoke a bit about what the hardest track to write for season 3 was.
Emotionally, Frank’s death was extremely difficult. I found myself weeping as I was writing. I felt so much for Claire. I felt for Frank and I loved the theme I wrote for Frank and it was sad writing it, knowing it was the last time. In many ways, I was saying goodbye to a piece of music that had been in my life for three years and a character. So that was challenging in that it was very emotional.
However, on a creative and technical level, I think the most challenging scene of the season and perhaps in my career was in the finale, with the voodoo drum ceremony in the woods. There’s a drum performance that I wrote. I wrote this drum circle music and on top of this 10-minute sequence, there’s all this drama and exposition.
There’s conflict, resolution, revelations, new motivations, fights, death, flashbacks. All of this happens while there’s a gigantic drum circle 10 feet away from our characters. It put us in a bizarre position where the score needed to do something. The idea was to write a drum circle performance that could stand alone and exist in its own world for 10 minutes but told a story and kept us in the setting.
It took me weeks and I was working with the editorial department very closely. They sent me the scene much earlier than they normally do because they were wrapping their heads around what we do. But I think it’s really cool and it’s an unusual track on the record and it was just a technical challenge.
Fans can order their copy today via Amazon, or digitally on iTunes, and eventually the signed (while supplies last) physical copy from Sparks & Shadows. (I’m guessing here, because that’s usually where you can find autographed albums of McCreary’s, so expect them to open those purchases soon.)
- Bear McCreary Talks Composing for 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters'
- Outlander Shares New BTS Photo of Claire from Season 4
- STARZ's 'Outlander' is Skipping SDCC For NYCC This Year
- Billy Boyd, 4 Others Join Outlander Season 4 Cast
- Outlander Gets 2 More Seasons Picked Up by STARZ
- STARZ Shares Outlander Season 4 Photo of Claire and [SPOILER]
- PlayStation Releases Bear McCreary's God of War Soundtrack on Spotify a Week Early
- STARZ's 'Outlander' Releases Season 4 Photo of Claire
- ICYMI: The 'Outlander' Emmy For Your Consideration Panel
- Outlander: STARZ Celebrates Year Of The Dog With Photo of Rollo
- Jessica Jones Defenders Statue Revealed by Kotobukiya
- Crash Bandicoot Action Figure Coming in May from NECA
- Black Panther Gets a Hot Toys Release Fit For a King
- TMNT Favorite Casey Jones Mask Now Available From NECA
- Stephen King Finally Approves a Limited Edition of Misery
- Boba Fett Gets the Life-Size Bust of Our Dreams from Sideshow
- WATCH: Brand-New Story Trailer for God of War from Santa Monica Studio
- Outlander Season 3, Episode 9 Has New Music And Opening Images
- Happy Death Day Review: One Of The Better Time Loopers
- The Music Of Marvel Television: Inhumans, Legion, And Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Outlander Season 3 Premiere Date Announced By STARZ
- 'Score' Is A Documentary For The OST Nerd In All Of Us
- 10 Cloverfield Lane Is A Satisfying, Suspenseful Thriller -- A Review
- ‘Outlander’ EPs On THAT Character Switch, [SPOILER]’s Return - December 17, 2018
- ‘Hot Fuzz 2’ Officially Greenlit, Posts Nick Frost - December 17, 2018
- ‘Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ GIANT Cast List, First Look - December 17, 2018
- ‘Aquaman’ is the Live-Action ‘Atlantis: The Lost Empire’ - December 16, 2018
- Netflix’s ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ Trailer Dropping Tomorrow? - December 16, 2018