Every month, Marvel offers retailers the chance to commission exclusive covers for certain titles — as long as they order thousands of copies. It’s an effective, if expensive way for both parties to a) get some promotion and create collectibles for the market, and b) up their orders. Begun by Dreamwave back in the day, it was popularised by IDW and now Marvel Comics does it more than anyone else with anywhere between five and ten titles a month.
For April, Marvel Comics will be allowing retailers to commission exclusive covers for the following titles
Amazing Spider-Man #798
Avengers: Shards Of Infinity #1
Captain America #700
X-Men Gold #26
Thanos Annual #1
There are still available cover variations for their Free Comic Book Day offerings, but stores will have to order upwards of 10,000 for those.
While DC Comics is still just doing one. For Action Comics #1000. And one store has just snagged Tony S Daniel for theirs, with Mike Jones of the Uncanny Comic Shop in Clermont, Florida telling us;
“We have teamed-up with DC Entertainment to offer our customers two exclusive Action Comics #1000 variants that will be extremely limited and only available from The Uncanny Comic Shop.”
“We are could not be happier that Tony has agreed to help us in creating our first-ever exclusive retailer variant cover and we are excited to be able to witness this great milestone in comic book history.” Jones said.
Expect to read a lot of this kind of thing going forward. I have given you fair warning…
- Dick Grayson is Now Called Ric Grayson as Fabian Nicieza Joins Scott Lobdell on Nightwing #51 - October 15, 2018
- The Full DC Comics Catalogue for January 2019 - October 15, 2018
- The Writer of Invictus Pens Graphic Novel, Mandela and the General - October 15, 2018
- Olivia Olson’s Marcy & Simon #1 Kicks Off Official Canon Continuation of Adventure Time in January - October 15, 2018
- The Future of Black Label at DC Comics – It’s All Stephen Colbert’s Fault? - October 15, 2018