Within moments of the New England Patriots losing to the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl, the hashtag #MaddenCurse immediately started trending, solidifying yet another victim in the game’s long history of screwing over the cover model. Digital Trends may have to update their listing about the fabled curse, but for the uninitiated, the Madden Curse is where every athlete who has ever graced the cover of the video game immediately has a horrible season and, in most cases, never recovers. For some, the curse never happens and the athlete has a fine and uneventful season. But for others, it can be catastrophic.
Most people had assumed that because Tom Brady had taken the Patriots all the way to the Super Bowl, that he had managed to evade the curse. But keep in mind, this is five-time champion Tom Brady, who got away with cheating, and managed to marry a supermodel. Chances were pretty good that Brady was going to evade the curse whether he got the cover or not. But the fact that the most dominant team in the past 25 years of football lost the biggest game of the year to a team that hadn’t won an original League championship since 1960 and had never held a Super Bowl title in the 52 years since it was created… That’s a loss that just can’t be written off as having a bad night, especially in a game as good as what we got on Sunday. So we’re going to chalk that one up to the curse.
- God of War Limited Edition Loot Crate on Its Way
- The EA Sports Super Bowl 52 Prediction Is In: The Winner Is...
- EA Games Makes USA Today's Top 20 Most Hated Companies List
- The 21st Annual DICE Award Nominees Are Here
- 5 Things to Watch on TV Today - December 27th, 2017
- Sick of All the Holiday Cheer? Meet Poppy, Your New Dark Obsession
- Guts and Glory Receives a Console Trailer Before Next Week’s Release - July 15, 2018
- CD Projekt Red Explains the First-Person Gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 - July 15, 2018
- No, We’re Not Getting Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe 2 or Film - July 15, 2018
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Announce Bonus XP Events - July 15, 2018
- The London Spitfire Advance to the Semifinals of the Overwatch League - July 15, 2018