Director Christopher Nolan is a perfectionist, and the majority of his films show this.
We recently upgraded our home theater system to a 7.1.2, specifically in order to really appriciate the wide range of things being offered on 4K Ultra HD, like the Warner Brothers Christopher Nolan 4K/Blu Ray box set collection.
The 21 disc set contains Nolan’s three Batman films (Batman Begins, The Knight Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises), The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, his most recent film Dunkirk, and a separate set of discs comprised of each film’s special features.
Dunkirk- The film is like a candy store for aeronautical history buffs, the sound design alone of the dog fights kept me on the edge of my seat in the theater. Having the same experience at home with the highest vid quality brought back that feeling, and having the ability to pause the film and really LOOK at the scenes was something I really appreciated.
Interstellar– Incredible visuals and way above standard audio, a very different experience to watch at home. The ability to pause the film and really look at everything in the shots is pretty awesome.
Inception– My personal favorite Nolan film to date, the subversive elements and pyramids of dreams are elevated even further with the 4K rendering. Nothing beats this particular Hans Zimmer score in full Dolby Atmos surround sound. (Yes, I know I sound like a freaking broken record when it comes to this particular thing. You can expect to read it again too, when I talk about the Dark Knight stuff.)
The Prestige– Anytime you mix David Bowie and Nikola Tesla, you’re gonna have something truly special. If you’ve never seen this film, this is your chance to REALLY experience it in a big way.
The Dark Knight Trilogy– Perhaps the most realistic telling of the Caped Crusader we’ll ever get, the three films starring Christian Bale take the viewer on the epic tale of Batman. Some of the most decorated films (awards-wise) in the superhero/comic book genre, the attention to detail in the Gotham universe rendered in 4K is bone rattling. It’ll get your blood moving, that’s for sure.
For film aficionados (and Nolan fans) this Nolan 4K Ultra HD box is a must purchase set, both for the materials and bonus features. Keep an eye out on our “What We Learned” segments were we list notable tidbits gleaned from the special features and BTS featurettes for each film.
- Things We Learned from 'Ready Player One' 4K/Blu-ray Special Features
- The Hans Zimmer Composer Roundtable Featuring Ramin Djawadi, Henry Jackman and More
- Let's Talk About "The Hunger" On it's 35th Anniversary
- Things We Learned From 'Thor: Ragnarok' Special Features
- Evan Peters Says Hans Zimmer Will Score Dark Phoenix
- Mondo Music Release of the Week: Fuga Dal Bronx Soundtrack!
- Things We Learned From The Christopher Nolan 4K Box Set Special Features- "Inception"
- Blade Runner 2049 On 4K- The Ultimate Visual And Aural Home Experience
- Things We Learned From The 'Blade Runner: 2049' Special Features
- 'Dunkirk' Review: One Of Christopher Nolan's Best Films Yet