Hannah Blumenreich came to prominence with her Peter Parker fan comics that led her being hired officially by Marvel Comics for Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen, as well as appearing in the Regular Show comic.
She is now providing the artwork for 2018’s Free Comic Book Day Commemorative Artist poster:
Free Comic Book Day, taking place on the first Saturday of May, is an annual promotional effort by the North American comic book industry to help bring new readers into independent comic book stores.
In 2001, retailer Joe Field was writing columns for an industry magazine, and saw how successful feature films based on comic book franchises were providing the comic book industry with a positive cultural and financial turnaround from the speculator bust of the late 1990s. Field proposed Free Comic Book Day in one of his columns, and received a positive reaction to it. Then-Image Comics publisher Jim Valentino suggested having the first Free Comic Book Day on the same weekend as the opening of the 2002 Spider-Man feature film, in order to take advantage of the film’s heavy promotion and related press about the comic book medium, and thus the first event was held May 4th, 2002, one day after the film’s opening.
On Free Comic Book Day, participating comic book store retailers give away specially printed copies of free comic books, and some offer special deals and creator signings to those visiting their establishments. However, retailers do not receive the issues for free; they pay 12–50 cents per copy for the comics they give away during the event. In addition to comic books, some stores also give away — and sell — other merchandise, such as mini posters and other movie tie-in memorabilia.
- Funko London Toy Fair Reveals include Miraculous, Garbage Pail Kids, Sailor Moon, MOTU, and more!
- Care Bears Funko Pops Revealed at London Toy Fair
- Marvel Comics to Relaunch Captain America #1 On the Fourth Of July, 2018 - February 22, 2018
- Can We Expect the Ta-Nehisi Coates Captain America News Next Week? - February 22, 2018
- The First of the Exclusive ComicsPRO Variants Hit eBay, from $10 to $50 - February 22, 2018
- Amazing Spider-Man #794 Goes to Third Printing - February 22, 2018
- DC Comics Makes Aquaman LED Signs for Comic Stores - February 22, 2018