Stardew Valley was the most downloaded game on the Nintendo Switch last year, with Minecraft coming just behind it.
The Nintendo Switch most certainly got off to a flying launch year. It sold a huge number of consoles, becoming the fastest selling console in US history over 10 months. That means that the ecosystem and games on it are likely booming too, with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey supposedly selling like hotcakes.
However, when you look at the digital side of things, there is a whole other story going on here. According to this list published by Nintendo, Stardew Valley was the most downloaded game throughout the entire year. What’s doubly impressive is that the port of the game didn’t come to the system until October. Minecraft came in second, although it is worth noting it came in first in Japan. That means a Microsoft published game is the second most downloaded digital game on the system which, while not meaning anything, is neat.
While it’s a huge achievement for Stardew Valley, it’s perhaps not at all surprising. The 2016 indie hit seemed like such a lovely fit for the system, bringing the chilled out farming/romance game to such a flexible system was bound to be a recipe for success. The game is supposed to be getting multiplayer sometime in the future, and if that functionality comes to the Switch, I expect the game to sell even more. What a lovely little success story it has been for Stardew Valley, itself just a lovely little game.
- Stardew Valley’s Multiplayer Mode Hits the Public Beta Today
- Stardew Valley's Creator Gives an Update on Multiplayer
- Breath of the Wild Becomes the Second Best-Selling Zelda Game
- Second Self Beer Co. Creates an IPA Tribute to Zelda
- PS4 is in the Final Stages of its Life Says Sony Interactive CEO - May 22, 2018
- Paladins Mobile Game Promo Accidentally Used Overwatch Art - May 22, 2018
- Battlefield V Gets the Shortest of Teasers Ahead of Reveal on Wednesday - May 21, 2018
- Grand Theft Auto V Nears 100 Million Copies Sold - May 21, 2018
- Resident Evil 7 is Coming to Nintendo Switch By Way of the Cloud - May 21, 2018