What will Steven Spielberg direct next? Sources are swirling in Tinseltown that maybe, just maybe, he’ll be returning to a particular popular archaeology professor.
Last year it was reported that Spielberg was definitely planning a 5th installment in the Indiana Jones franchise, and Kathleen Kennedy confirmed (in 2015) that both Steven and Harrison Ford were interested in coming back for it. There were also the random reports about a Chris Pratt-fronted Indy, but those have since been largely dismissed.
There have also been no shortage of rumors about what the 5th film may be about, but everyone confirms there will NOT be an appearance of Shia LaBeouf‘s Mutt character from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (*sigh of relief*).
Back in 2016, Spielberg made sure it was known he wouldn’t pull a Star Wars and end the arc of Ford’s character, saying: “The one thing I will tell you is I’m not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it.” I mean, he DID drink from a certain famous cup-of-a-carpenter.
Producer Frank Marshall has said that the fifth movie will be a ‘continuation of the events following Crystal Skull‘, rather than any sort of reboot or prequel.
Franchise creator George Lucas is on board as executive producer for Indy 5, David Koepp is returning to write the script, and most importantly, John Williams has been confirmed to return and provide the score.
Deadline does say that maybe something else will catch Spielberg’s eye before then, but for now it looks like things are moving forward.
There is a tentative release date of July 10th, 2020 for Indiana Jones 5. We’ll let you know once any further information becomes available.
- Disney Reportedly Standing Firm on Not Reinstating James Gunn - August 15, 2018
- ’47 Meters Down’ is Getting a Sequel Because… We’re Not Sure - August 15, 2018
- Sounds Like Dave Filoni Won’t Be as Involved in ‘Star Wars Resistance’ - August 15, 2018
- Dave Filoni Comments on Captain Rex ‘Star Wars: Return of the Jedi’ Fan Theories - August 15, 2018
- Everyone Loves David Harbour, Especially The Duffer Brothers - August 14, 2018