After a series of incidences that led to a change in directors and the original writing team stepping away from the project, the keys to the toy box have finally found a new home. Deadline Hollywood is reporting exclusively that Black List scribe Stephany Folsom has been signed to take over writing the script for Pixar‘s Toy Story 4, the next installment in the insanely huge franchise that’s scheduled for a Summer 2019 release.
For some perspective on Folsom, you need to look no further than her “contribution” Black List, the annual list of the best un-produced scripts in Hollywood as voted on by over 250 studio executives: 1969: A Space Odyssey Or: How Kubrick Learned To Stop Worrying And Land On The Moon. The script tells the story of a publicist in an alternate timeline who convinces filmmaker Stanley Kubrick to work with NASA in order to fake the moon landing. Folsom was also one of the writers of Thor: Ragnarok, but was denied credit by the Writers Guild of America (WGA).
The road to this announcement has been a rocky one for normally smooth-operating Pixar, clearly hoping that this is a sign of better news to come. Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter was expected to co-direct the film, but stepped away from the project to take a six-month leave of absence to reconsider “missteps” he’s taken towards women. Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation) and writing partner Will McCormack were originally on board to write the film, but left over what Jones would later say were creative and philosophical differences. The Hollywood Reporter published a report stating that Jones left the project because of an overture made by Lasseter, but Jones is calling that report inaccurate. Josh Cooley (Riley’s First Date) will be stepping in as director, with Lasseter remaining as executive producer and consultant for the film.
- Crisis Management: Arrow ‘Elseworlds, Part 2’ (Bleeding Cool’s Arrowverse Live-Blog!) - December 10, 2018
- Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon’s Cord and Tish Return as 2019 Rose Parade Hosts - December 10, 2018
- Ratched: Ryan Murphy Calls ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ Prequel Series “A Feminist Horror Story” - December 10, 2018
- Cobra Kai Season 2: Ralph Macchio Confirms Production Wrap, Praises Show Honor - December 10, 2018
- Crisis Management: The Flash ‘Elseworlds, Part 1’ (Bleeding Cool’s Arrowverse Live-Blog!) - December 9, 2018