NBCUniversal/NBC Sports, the official TV carrier of the XXIII Olympic Winter Games here in the USA, just named who will be hosting the televised Olympic Opening Ceremony from PyeongChang, South Korea.
Katie Couric and Mike Tirico will be co-hosting the ceremony and cauldron lighting, set to air on NBC on Friday, February 9th at 8 p.m. ET, or 5 p.m. PST. This will be Tirico’s first time hosting an Opening Ceremony, but not his first Olympic experience having hosted the Closing Ceremonies in Rio for the network in 2016 following his time as a daytime host during the Summer Games.
President of NBC Olympics Production and Programming president Jim Bell had this to say about the announcement:
“It’s beyond exciting to welcome Katie back to our Olympic booth. Katie has extensive Olympic experience, having anchored the Today show at six previous Games, and hosted the Opening Ceremony in Sydney, Salt Lake City, and Athens. We have been eagerly awaiting Mike’s first prime time Olympic hosting duties, and now, with Mike and Katie, viewers will have two pros, and two terrific storytellers leading the way. I’m looking forward to both of them engaging with Joshua for his keen analysis, first shared with our viewers so memorably in Beijing in 2008. I have no doubt this compelling trio will capture both the significance and glory of the ceremony’s signature moments.”
Joshua Cooper Ramo will also be joining NBC’s Opening Ceremony coverage. Cooper Ramo is the Co-CEO of Kissinger Associates, a firm who discussed culture and geo-political interests and issues during the 2008 Beijing Olympics coverage for NBC.
Of her return to the desk for the event, Couric said:
“During my years at NBC, I loved covering the Olympics and showcasing the hard work, dedication and perseverance of athletes from around the world. The Opening Ceremony will be a chance for South Korea to share its culture and customs and for the international community to celebrate this unparalleled display of athletic achievement and sportsmanship. There’s nothing quite like it. I’m also looking forward to working with Mike, who brings a wealth of knowledge and passion to everything he does.”
- The 2018 Winter Olympics Start Next Month, Here's What You Need To Know
- Olympic Skier Lindsey Vonn Hits the Slopes as Captain America
- What Kate Mulgrew Said About Captain Janeway Returning to Star Trek - October 20, 2018
- W. Earl Brown With Another ‘Deadwood’ Movie Update - October 20, 2018
- Wanna See a ‘The Simpsons’ 2018 Treehouse of Horror XXIX Clip? - October 20, 2018
- ‘Outlander’: Diana Gabaldon on [SPOILER]’S Return for Season 4 - October 20, 2018
- Games Workshop Celebrates 500th Store Opening: Free Swag, Limited Edition Minis - October 19, 2018