Superstar actor Warwick Davis took to Twitter, as so many people have been doing lately, to complain about Twitter’s lack of response to reports of tweets using offensive language, promoting hate views, or engaging in targeted harassment. In this case, Davis had reported a tweet referring to his family as “midgets,” a term which he describes as offensive to short-statured individuals. Despite reporting the tweet, and as he says, explaining why the term is offensive, Twitter had not taken action, so he finally took the case to his followers, tweeting:
.@Twitter is supposed to have clamped down on abusive behaviour on their platform. However, even after reporting twice, and explaining how offensive the word ‘midget’ is to many short statured individuals, they continue to allow the Tweet below to remain on the users timeline. pic.twitter.com/BnQczdyqGM
— Warwick Davis (@WarwickADavis) January 14, 2018
Davis’s tweet even received the support of his old Return of the Jedi co-worker, Star Wars: The Last Jedi star Mark Hamill.
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) January 15, 2018
The public attention, it seems, was enough for Twitter to take action within 24 hours of his tweet, as Davis reported Monday morning:
News just in… @Twitter have emailed me…
“Thank you for contacting us about this issue. We have reviewed the account you reported and have locked it because we found it to be in violation of the Twitter Rules.”
Thanks everyone! You are a Force for good! x
— Warwick Davis (@WarwickADavis) January 15, 2018
So we’ve finally learned the secret to ending harassment and abuse on Twitter: we just need Warwick Davis to tweet about every single incident to get Twitter to take action. Mr. Davis, do you happen to have the next several years free to make about a million more tweets on the subject? We could really use the help.
- Long-Awaited Sequel How to Paint Characters the Marvel Studios Way to Hit Stores in April 2019 - August 16, 2018
- Ninja-K #11 Preview is Perfect Jumping-on Point for Jumping-on Point of Ninja-K #11 - August 16, 2018
- Image Unveils Weatherman #4 Variant by Bengal - August 16, 2018
- Archie Revisits His Roots as Riverdale Goes to War in Archie ’41 Preview - August 16, 2018
- Lightstep: Dark Horse to Publish Miloš Slavković’s Space Opera in November - August 16, 2018