There are plenty of reasons good movies don’t do well at the box office. In the case of Edge of Tomorrow it came down to a less than stellar marketing campaign and a really generic title. However, the movie did well enough at the box office and with the critical acclaim it did get a sequel greenlit. We haven’t heard much about it and Collider recently asked director Doug Liman about the project.
“We’re just working on the script… [We’re no longer working on scheduling issues], now it’s down to we have a window where we could go do it, and we’re frantically working on the script. It’s one of those movies that we’ll only go make if we love the script. It’s not one of those things where the studio is pushing us to make it and they don’t really care if it’s good or not. If the movie happens, it will be because Emily Blunt, Tom Cruise and myself are passionate about making it, which is a great place to be. She doesn’t need this movie, he doesn’t need this movie, and I don’t need it. We’re gonna make it if we really believe in it. We have story that the three of us love, so we’re working hard on the script.”
So it sounds like they have a script and even a time for when Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt could shoot the movie, does that mean it’s going to me Liman’s next movie?
“It could be. It has the possibility of being my next film.”
At the moment Liman is in the middle of post-production on the movie Chaos Walking due out next year. While he doesn’t make any guarantees it sounds like if they could work the time out for everyone involved the Edge of Tomorrow sequel could be next on the list.
- The Gifted Season 2: Reed Strucker’s Powers Will Be “Very, Very Bad News” - August 15, 2018
- The Happytime Murders Releases an Important PSA - August 15, 2018
- Avengers 4 Will Feature a Captain America and Black Widow with a “Harder Edge” - August 15, 2018
- Runaways Season 2: Karolina and Nico’s Relationship is the “Emotional Core” - August 15, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2: Caitlin Strucker is “Hardened by Grief” - August 15, 2018